Kate Middleton prank call DJ Mel Greig admits royal hoax was factor in her divorce – but she won’t say “poor me”
- Lilibet Diana: Royals told to brace for ‘big uptick’ in Americans using Queen’s nickname
- Zara Tindall and Mike's 5 best Royal Ascot pictures at 1st official outing since son born
- Prince Harry and Prince William ‘regret’ royal rift but damage is ‘irreparable’
- Kate working 'behind-the-scenes' to broker peace between William and 'beloved' Harry
- Queen earned ‘more than £7million’ from horse-racing before Royal Ascot dilemma
- 'Arrogant' Prince Harry savaged after claim Duke 'wants to attend' Queen’s Jubilee party
The Australian radio DJ who infamously prank called Kate Middleton’s hospital had admitted the hoax call played a major part in the breakdown of her marriage.
- Prince Harry's 'enormous slap in face' before Queen tribute in baby name
- Queen 'not as excited' by Prince Philip's sweet gesture to Lady Louise, says Sophie Wessex
- Meghan and Harry shot themselves in foot with ‘vacuum’ over Lilibet’s birth
- Meghan and Harry opted against calling daughter Gary in decision to honour Queen
- Royal history made: Heir to the throne REFUSES 'uncomfortable' allowance
- Prince William forced to obey 'seriously annoying' royal tradition when he becomes king
Mel Greig and radio co-host Michael Christian made headlines around the world in 2012 when they phoned the King Edward VII Hospital in London where pregnant Kate was being treated for severe morning sickness.
Pretending to be The Queen and Prince Charles, they managed to get through to duty nurse Jacintha Saldanha, who transferred the call to a colleague, who then gave some information.
The call was broadcast on Greig and Christian’s radio show.
Ms Saldhanha took her own life three days later.
Speaking on BBC Radio 5 this week, Greig said she had been dating Steve Pollock when the royal hoax scandal took place, so he was there throughout the aftermath, which saw her and Christian vilified and taken off the air.
“He later proposed and we got married and now, sadly, divorced,” she said.
“[The hoax call] was a huge part in our marriage not being successful. We weren’t living a normal life for two years and I was battling major depression.
“There was more at play but this played a huge part, absolutely. I have lost a lot but I’m not going to sit here and go poor me because the Saldanha family lost a mother, a wife.
“If this is what I have to sacrifice then that’s how it is.”
Greig also spoke to Emma Bennett about the moment she realised the hoax royal call had become a global headline – with her right at the centre.
“I was in bed, my partner was on Twitter, and he was just reading these messages saying, ‘You’ve got blood on your hands, shame on you, go hang yourself,’
“He woke me up just as I was getting phone calls from work and that’s how I found out.”
Mel announced her split from Steve last year but said on BBC Radio 5 the divorce had just come through.
Speaking in 2016, she told Australia’s Channel Ten Studio 10: “Steven was absolutely my rock and fought for me for so long through the toughest battle of our life and he now needs to look out for himself.”
Source: MSN COM
Tags: Kate Middleton, Kate, Middleton, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Catherine Duchess of Cambridge