PRINCESS DIANA’s reason for not wanting to divorce Prince Charles has resurfaced on social media.
- Kate and William make 'deliberate move' to turn spotlight on George, Charlotte & Louis
- Prince George 'to make a very good king' thanks to Prince William and Kate training
- Kate 'pillar of strength' for William as he faced 'a really hard time with his brother'
- Kate Middleton shows off new £9,000 diamond necklace in anniversary portrait with William
- Kate Middleton gives 'hidden nod' to Princess Diana with 'timeless' fashion choices
- Kate and Prince William ignore Royal Family tradition to be closer to their children
In a telling interview with Panorama journalist Martin Bashir, Diana conceded vital information about her relationship with Charles when asked about her expectations of married life.
She said: “I think like any marriage, especially when you’ve had divorced parents like myself, you’d want to try even harder to make it work and you don’t want to fall back into a pattern that you’ve seen happen in your own family. “I desperately wanted it to work, I desperately loved my husband and I wanted to share everything together, and I thought that we were a very good team.”
The reality that transpired is a harsh and heartbreaking one – one that Diana had hardly ever imagined.
Her close friend and personal trainer, Jenni Rivett, claims Diana had no plans of divorcing Charles despite their often troubled marriage.
Ms Rivett claims that although Diana asked for a trial period of separation from Charles, it was in fact Queen Elizabeth who advised that the pair divorce.
Charles and Diana announced their separation in 1992, though the divorce process was to take four years.
It has been reported that the pair were less than amicable after the divorce, and had no relationship at all.
- Royal officials 'who sneered about Kate' will now be the ones 'bowing lowest to her'
- William promised to be silent while Harry boosted global fame through Vax Live appearance
- 'I gasped!' Kate Middleton's 'hand was shaking' as she revealed Princess Diana's ring
- Kate voiced concern after Prince Harry bypassed tradition with Meghan Markle proposal
- Mike Tindall played pivotal role in helping Zara recover from huge 'disappointment'
- Kate Middleton 'perfectly at home in Balmoral' before Meghan snubbed visit
Diana and Charles’ relationship was troubled (Image GETTY)
- ‘Cut-rate Ed Sheeran!’ Prince Harry’s ‘evangelical’ concert speech ridiculed by radio host
- Meghan Markle’s standing ovation claim debunked by video before Harry’s Vax Live event
- Meghan Markle 'spent awful lot of time' with 'big binder of notes' on Royal Family life
- ‘Staggering hypocrisy!’ Piers Morgan fumes at Meghan Markle for book about father-son bond
- Meghan Markle ‘didn’t anticipate’ difficulties of royal life – ‘Couldn’t hack it’
- Queen Kate Middleton: New poll shows more than 75 percent of UK backs Duchess as Queen
Charles and Diana’s romantic timeline (Image GETTY)
The relationship was further strained following the divorce when in the same Panorama interview, Diana admitted that she didn’t think Charles would suit the “suffocating” role of king.
In the spring of 1997, just one year after the divorce, Diana arranged for to be the subject of a professional photo shoot of the renowned photographer, Mario Testino.
Many who saw the photos commented on a more care free and happy Diana, one that hadn’t been seen in public for a long time.
The photoshoot marked the beginning of a new chapter for Diana, as she carved a new identity for herself.
Why Princess Diana didn’t divorce Prince Charles (Image GETTY)
Diana visited troops in Sarajevo (Image GETTY)
She became a global ambassador, selflessly visiting Angola to highlight the ensuing violence, also visiting a war-torn Sarajevo in early August 1997.
Yet, Diana’s newfound status as humanitarian peace bringer was short-lived, as just 21 days after her visit to Sarajevo, she would be pronounced dead.
On August 31, Diana was escorted from the Ritz Hotel in Paris along with Dodi Fayed, the son of Egyptian businessman Mohamed Al-Fayed.
The car she was travelling in was followed by paparazzi when the driver lost control and crashed in a fatal collision.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK