Royal author Angela Levin hit out at the royal drama following the release of season four last month. She claimed the series is a “spiteful” bid to “get rid” of the Royal Family.
Speaking on True Royalty TV’s Royal Beat, Ms Levin said: “They saw people mainly for their faults, they didn’t try and balance it.
“It’s an attack to get rid of the Royal Family. A lot of them are still alive and I think it is spiteful. They should have balanced it, it’s not fair.
“The top Royal Family really try hard for this country.
“We saw the Queen talking to us when the Covid virus was at its peak and she was like a sort of grandmother to use all saying, ‘We will get better, we will come again.’
The Crown is an ‘attack’ on the Royal Family, according to a royal expert
“And it’s sort of comforting, the same way I think Kate and William did that on their train journey.
“They are saying, ‘Thank you, we are part of this, we are all together.’
“It gives you strength and courage and to just make them sort of inept idiots is wrong.
“The next series is going to get darker and darker… it sounds a bit soppy, but we need to protect our Royal Family because they have given so much to this country.”
Royal author Angela Levin hit out at the royal drama following the release of season four last month
Ms Levin’s comments come after Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden called for Netflix to add a disclaimer to the series.
It is understood the streaming service received a private letter from Mr Dowden and sent a private response.
Season four features Princess Diana (Emma Corrin) and dramatises her relationship with Prince Charles (Josh O’Connor).
Netflix has sparked criticism for allegedly not doing enough to ensure viewers know it is a work of fiction.
Season four features Princess Diana (Emma Corrin) and dramatises her relationship with Prince Charles (Josh O’Connor)
Mr Dowden previously told the Mail on Sunday: “It’s a beautifully produced work of fiction, so as with other TV productions, Netflix should be very clear at the beginning it is just that.
“Without this, I fear a generation of viewers who did not live through these events may mistake fiction for fact.”
But Netflix insisted it has “no plans – and sees no need” to add a disclaimer.
A statement said: “We have always presented The Crown as a drama – and we have every confidence our members understand it’s a work of fiction that’s broadly based on historical events.
“As a result, we have no plans – and see no need – to add a disclaimer.”
Peter Morgan, who created The Crown, had previously appeared on the show’s official podcast to defend his right to creative licence.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK