Royal SHOCK: Camilla was RULED OUT by Royal family for Charles as she wasn’t a ‘virgin’
Camilla was considered an unsuitable bride for Prince Charles when they were young, because she wasn’t a virgin, according to the documentary The Royal House of Windsor.
The Duchess of Cornwall had “lived a bit” and her experience ruled her out as a wife, it was revealed by the documentary narrator.
- Kate and William make 'deliberate move' to turn spotlight on George, Charlotte & Louis
- Prince George 'to make a very good king' thanks to Prince William and Kate training
- Kate 'pillar of strength' for William as he faced 'a really hard time with his brother'
- Kate Middleton shows off new £9,000 diamond necklace in anniversary portrait with William
- Kate Middleton gives 'hidden nod' to Princess Diana with 'timeless' fashion choices
- Kate and Prince William ignore Royal Family tradition to be closer to their children
This “experience” was clarified by historian Dr Piers Brendan who said: “It was absolutely vital to have on the throne somebody who was a virgin.
“A future Queen must have no past.”
Camilla Shand, as she was known at the time, met the heir to the throne at Lord Mountbatten’s home, who was Charles’ great uncle.
She was a “vivacious, horse-mad member of the Sussex country set” and the two had a very warm and vibrant relationship.
Biographer and journalist Christopher Wilson said Charles himself was “red-blooded and passionate” and when the two met it was “like a thunderclap”.
- Royal officials 'who sneered about Kate' will now be the ones 'bowing lowest to her'
- William promised to be silent while Harry boosted global fame through Vax Live appearance
- 'I gasped!' Kate Middleton's 'hand was shaking' as she revealed Princess Diana's ring
- Kate voiced concern after Prince Harry bypassed tradition with Meghan Markle proposal
- Mike Tindall played pivotal role in helping Zara recover from huge 'disappointment'
- Kate Middleton 'perfectly at home in Balmoral' before Meghan snubbed visit
Author Penny Junor said: “She was funny, she was outspoken, a bit outlandish, she’d lived a bit.
“And he was still very green behind the ears and he just fell for her big time.”
However, the expectation on Prince Charles to pick the perfect bride to be the future Queen meant that Camilla’s past was an obstacle.
Ms Junor said: “I mean, there is no suggestion at all that Camilla was a loose woman, but she had had boyfriends.”
The Prince of Wales felt a strong sense of duty, particularly considering the legacy of the Duke of Windsor, who abdicated the throne to marry divorcee Wallis Simpson.
Camilla had been in an on-and-off relationship with a polo friend of Charles’ called Andrew Parker Bowles, who she later married.
- ‘Cut-rate Ed Sheeran!’ Prince Harry’s ‘evangelical’ concert speech ridiculed by radio host
- Meghan Markle’s standing ovation claim debunked by video before Harry’s Vax Live event
- Meghan Markle 'spent awful lot of time' with 'big binder of notes' on Royal Family life
- ‘Staggering hypocrisy!’ Piers Morgan fumes at Meghan Markle for book about father-son bond
- Meghan Markle ‘didn’t anticipate’ difficulties of royal life – ‘Couldn’t hack it’
- Queen Kate Middleton: New poll shows more than 75 percent of UK backs Duchess as Queen
Charles himself left to join the Navy and was apparently devastated when he found out about the marriage.
He dated a string of different women before marrying Diana Spencer, who became the Princess of Wales.
Both Camilla and Charles were to divorce their spouses, of course, and were married in 2005.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK