PRINCESS DIANA made a number of sacrifices upon entering the Royal Family, but experts claim that it was her respect for the Queen that forced her to make one of the biggest sacrifices of all.
The people’s princess was admired for her amazing charity work and caring nature. But it was her respect for the monarch that really shone as she served as The Princess Of Wales. Now, one of the greatest sacrifices Diana made for her majesty has been revealed.
- Kate and William make 'deliberate move' to turn spotlight on George, Charlotte & Louis
- Prince George 'to make a very good king' thanks to Prince William and Kate training
- Kate 'pillar of strength' for William as he faced 'a really hard time with his brother'
- Kate Middleton shows off new £9,000 diamond necklace in anniversary portrait with William
- Kate Middleton gives 'hidden nod' to Princess Diana with 'timeless' fashion choices
- Kate and Prince William ignore Royal Family tradition to be closer to their children
Diana explained how important it was to conduct herself at a level that honored Queen Elizabeth II in the 1992 Andrew Morton book Diana: Her True Story.
Morton shared the major sacrifice Diana made as a nod that she would never want to let down the Queen.
It was revealed in the book that the Queen was one of the reasons she took so long to divorce Charles.
“While Diana finds the monarchy as presently organised as a crumbling institution she has a deep respect for the manner in which the queen has conducted herself for the last forty years,” Morton wrote.
- Royal officials 'who sneered about Kate' will now be the ones 'bowing lowest to her'
- William promised to be silent while Harry boosted global fame through Vax Live appearance
- 'I gasped!' Kate Middleton's 'hand was shaking' as she revealed Princess Diana's ring
- Kate voiced concern after Prince Harry bypassed tradition with Meghan Markle proposal
- Mike Tindall played pivotal role in helping Zara recover from huge 'disappointment'
- Kate Middleton 'perfectly at home in Balmoral' before Meghan snubbed visit
It was Diana’s respect for the Queen that forced her to make one of the biggest sacrifices of all (Image: GETTY)
- ‘Cut-rate Ed Sheeran!’ Prince Harry’s ‘evangelical’ concert speech ridiculed by radio host
- Meghan Markle’s standing ovation claim debunked by video before Harry’s Vax Live event
- Meghan Markle 'spent awful lot of time' with 'big binder of notes' on Royal Family life
- ‘Staggering hypocrisy!’ Piers Morgan fumes at Meghan Markle for book about father-son bond
- Meghan Markle ‘didn’t anticipate’ difficulties of royal life – ‘Couldn’t hack it’
- Queen Kate Middleton: New poll shows more than 75 percent of UK backs Duchess as Queen
The people’s princess was admired for her amazing charity work and caring nature (Image: GETTY)
He continued, “Indeed, much as she would like to leave her husband, Diana has emphasised to her: ‘I will never let you down.’”
In the documentary Diana: In Her Own Words, she recounted the time she went to the Queen for advice about her marriage to Charles.
However, she didn’t find the comfort she has hoped for.
The princess claimed that she went “sobbing” to the Queen for assistance in 1986 because she thought her marriage to Prince Charles was “loveless.”
Diana explained how important it was to conduct herself at a level that honored Queen Elizabeth II (Image: GETTY)
However, the Queen had little to say on the matter.
Diana said: “I went to the top lady and said: ‘I don’t know what I should do.’
“She said: ‘I don’t know what you should do.’ And that was it. That was ‘help,’” she explained.
However, despite some friction in the Royal Family, the loyalty came shining through.
The princess claimed that she went ‘sobbing’ to the Queen for assistance in 1986 because she thought her marriage to Prince Charles was ‘loveless’ (Image: GETTY)
Diana even refused fan herself while attending an event on a hot day because the Queen wouldn’t be using one (Image: GETTY)
Diana even refused fan herself while attending an event on a hot day because the Queen wouldn’t be using one.
“Before she attended a garden party on a stifling July afternoon, a friend offered Diana a fan to take with her,” Morton shared in his book.
“She refused, saying: ‘I can’t do that,” he continued.
“My mother-in-law is going to be standing there with her handbag, gloves, stockings and shoes.’ It was a sentiment expressed in admiring tones for the Sovereign’s complete self-control in every circumstance, however trying.”
Royal Family tree (Image: EXPRESS)
The respect was mutual, and the monarch shared some truly heartfelt sentiments about Diana after her tragic death in 1997.
She made an address to the nation and praised Diana for being a great mother and an “exceptional” human being.
“I want to pay tribute to Diana myself,”the Queen began.
“She was an exceptional and gifted human being. In good times and in bad, she never lost her capacity to smile and laugh, nor to inspire others with her warmth and kindness.”
It was revealed in the book that the Queen was one of the reasons Diana took so long to separate from Charles (Image: GETTY)
She added, “I admired and respected her — for her energy and commitment to others, and especially for her devotion to her two boys.”
The monarch also wrote a letter six days after her death.
She noted, “It was indeed dreadfully sad, and she is a huge loss to the country.
“But the public reaction to her death, and the service in the Abbey, seem to have united people round the world in a rather inspiring way.”
Source: EXPRESS CO UK