The Princess was “emotionally and physically exhausted” and is now receiving treatment in a facility outside of Monaco, Albert has confirmed.
As Charlene goes through her own tough time, unearthed pictures show how she once provided support to Prince Harry during a testing period for the Duke of Sussex.
The royal accompanied Harry to an England vs South Africa rugby match at Twickenham Stadium in 2016.
Their joint appearance at the game came less than two weeks after Harry’s relationship to Meghan had been leaked to the Sunday Express.
Harry had been expected to bring Meghan to the match for the couple’s first public appearance but instead went with Charlene, who represented South Africa’s Olympic swimming team at the 2000 Games in Sydney.
Harry had also just released an unprecedented statement acknowledging his relationship with Meghan and accusing the media of “crossing a line” with his girlfriend.
A statement put out by Harry’s communications chief said he was “worried” about Meghan’s “safety”.
It claimed she had been subjected to a “smear on the front page of a national newspaper; the racial undertones of comment pieces; and the outright sexism and racism of social media trolls and web article comments”.
The statement also claimed that photographers had tried to illegally gain entry to Meghan’s home and that newspapers had offered bribes to her ex-boyfriend.
At the match, the Duke and Charlene were pictured smiling as they stood together in one of the stands.
Prior to the game, Harry visited the Rose and Poppy Gates at the ground, which are dedicated to rugby players who have served and lost their lives in conflicts.
He laid a commemorative poppy wreath at the site and also chatted to filmmakers involved in a production about players who fought in World War 1.
Harry was at the game in his capacity as the vice patron of the Rugby Football Union and Rugby Football League.
He stepped down from the patronages of the organisations earlier this year as it was confirmed that he and Meghan would not return to the Royal Family as working royals.
This week, the situation around Charlene’s health was explained in greater detail by Albert.
The Prince, who is Grace Kelly’s only son, spoke exclusively to People magazine.
He also said that the Princess’ current condition is the result of several “private” factors, and that she will likely need several weeks’ clinical care to recover.
Albert said Charlene “couldn’t face official duties, life in general or even family life”.
He also claimed Charlene’s difficulties were not due to problems with their relationship.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK