Princess Charlene of Monaco rushed to hospital after collapsing

987

PRINCESS CHARLENE of Monaco was taken to hospital after collapsing in South Africa.

Prince Albert’s wife was rushed to the Netcare Alberlito Hospital in Ballito, north of Durban, South Africa, on Wednesday night. The 43-year-old is said to have collapsed due to complications from a severe ear, nose and throat infection that she contracted in May, it has emerged today. However, the princess was reported to be in a stable condition in hospital.

She has now also been discharged and now recovering in South Africa.

The Royal Palace of Monaco said in a statement: “The Princess is currently recovering in South Africa, where her medical team has advised her not to travel until all necessary procedures have been completed.

“Charlene was meant to have another operation on September 3 before she suddenly collapsed.”

The princess also reportedly underwent an operation two weeks ago, although it is not known whether this was linked to the infection.

Princess Charlene of Monaco was taken to hospital

Princess Charlene of Monaco was taken to hospital (Image: GETTY)

Charlene was first seen in South Africa back in March this year as she attended the funeral of Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini kwaBhekuzulu in Nongoma, KwaZulu-Natal.

She was born in Zimbabwe but grew up in South Africa after her family moved there in 1989.

The former Olympic swimmer also stayed in the nation to raise awareness around rhino poaching.

But two months later in May, the palace released a statement saying she was unable to leave after contracting an ear, nose and throat (ENT) infection.

Prince Albert's wife was rushed to the Netcare Alberlito Hospital in Ballito

Prince Albert’s wife was rushed to the Netcare Alberlito Hospital in Ballito (Image: GETTY)

The palace said at the time: “During a trip to the African continent as part of a wildlife conservation mission, Princess Charlene contracted an ENT infection that does not allow her to travel.”

She was meant to return to Monaco to make an appearance at the Monaco F1 Grand Prix in Monte Carlo on May 23.

However, she instead sent her “best wishes” after being unable to return home.

Albert spoke about his wife’s stay in South Africa earlier this week and revealed she is “ready to come”.

But he added it would “depend on what her doctors say”.

He told PEOPLE: “She’s ready to come home. I know she’s said possibly ‘late October’.

“But that was before this most recent round of appointments.

“I’m pretty sure we can cut that time frame a little short.

Charlene was unable to leave after contracting an ear, nose and throat (ENT) infection

Charlene was unable to leave after contracting an ear, nose and throat (ENT) infection (Image: GETTY)

“She’s ready. She’s jokingly said that she’s ready to stowaway on a ship to come back to Europe.”

Last week, he also visited Charlene with their children Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques.

Albert went with his wife to a doctor’s appointment, where they met with the surgeon who performed her most recent operation to get “a new reassessment about how things are holding up.”

He added: “Of course she was delighted to see us and to spend time with the kids.”

Source: EXPRESS CO UK

Diana Legacy Header Logo Image
inbox gif

Get Update News In Your Inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Latest Update News Images Videos of British Royal Family

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Instagram
Instagram