In a statement, the palace said: “Their Serene Highnesses have both decided that a period of calm and rest is necessary to ensure the very best recovery for Princess Charlene’s health.
“Having battled with poor health over the past few months, the Princess is currently convalescing and will continue to do so for the coming weeks, allowing her time to recover from a state of profound general fatigue.
“In order to protect the comfort and privacy essential to her recovery, the Princess’ location will remain strictly confidential.
Princess Charlene of Monaco will miss National Day celebrations on Friday
Princess Charlene is married to Prince Albert of Monaco
“Due to this situation, the Princely couple regrets to announce that Princess Charlene will be unable to attend this year’s Fête Nationale (National Day) celebrations, alongside her family and the people of Monaco.”
The palace said Charlene will resume royal engagements when she recovers and a further update on her health will be released over the Christmas period.
The statement added: “As soon as her health permits, the Princess looks forward to once again carrying out her Princely duties and spending time with the Monegasques.
“During this temporary period of rest, the Princely couple kindly requests that their privacy and family environment are well respected.
Princess Charlene returned to Monaco last week
“Information on the Princess’ health will be communicated in due course, ahead of the Christmas holidays.”
Charlene returned to Monaco last week after spending several months in South Africa.
Charlene, who swam for South Africa at the Sydney Olympics in 2000, returned to her homeland to carry out work on the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation, which promotes water safety and wildlife conservation on the continent.
But in September, the princess was admitted to hospital in South Africa for treatment for an ear, nose and throat infection.
Princess Charlene and Prince Albert have two children
She was reunited with her husband and their twins, Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella, at Nice airport on November 8.
Charlene was due to attend a Mass and appear on the balcony of the Prince’s Palace during the National Day celebrations.
Prince Albert is still expected to attend the event alongside Prince Jacques, six and Princess Gabriella, six.
His sisters, Princess Caroline of Hanover and Princess Stephanie of Monaco, are also set to be present on November 19.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK