Princess Charlene, 43, has caused concern in recent weeks with a series of cryptic, impersonal Instagram posts. But the Zimbabwe-born Monegasque princess finally appeared again in what appears to be a live post, shared to the social media platform from South Africa on Sunday, though there was no sign of Prince Albert nearby.
In the post, the princess is wearing rosary beads and is sitting in front of a bible.
The caption is simply, “God bless”, with Charlene sporting a wide grin.
This is the first new picture of the princess since she was discharged from a South African hospital last month for a sudden medical emergency.
Charlene left for South Africa – where she grew up – more than five months ago, for what was initially expected to be a brief trip to work with her foundation
In early September, she was rushed to hospital when she collapsed due to a “severe” sinus infection, an aide said.
The princess was said to be in a “stable” condition after the incident, but the hospital would not confirm the details of her treatment for confidential reasons.
However, the mystery surrounding the situation has led to rampant speculation that her marriage was breaking down and she would not be returning to Monaco.
Speculation grew when she posted a cryptic video showing her emerging from water, with the caption: “As I was born of the ocean so the ocean was born of me. I present to you a piece of both”.
The video was timed to coincide with the Monte-Carlo Gala for Planetary Health, yet another event the princess was absent from.
The video was widely interpreted as an attempt by the princess to show she remains attached to Monaco, but it appears to have backfired, drawing even more attention to her absence.
Charlene has now not been seen in Monaco since January, leaving Prince Albert alone with their six-year-old twins.
There has been rampant speculation the couple would be splitting up, but both Charlene and Albert have sought to quell the rumours.
Speaking to South African radio, Charlene said she was remaining in her home country for medical reasons, saying in July that she “cannot force healing”.
And Prince Albert tried to put a stop to speculation in an interview with People Magazine, insisting his wife left Monaco to work and visit family, not due to a fight.
He said: “She didn’t leave Monaco in a huff! She didn’t leave because she was mad at me or at anybody else.
“She was going down to South Africa to reassess her foundation’s work down there and to take a little time off with her brother and some friends.
He said the trip was “only supposed to be a weeklong, 10-day maximum stay”, and is not due to Princess Charlene going “into exile”.
He insisted it is “absolutely just a medical problem”.
However, the royal did acknowledge that he should have addressed the rumours about marriage issues sooner but explained that he had been “concentrating on taking care of the kids” and had assumed the speculation would pass.
Prince Albert added that his wife was “ready” to head back to Europe, though no date was mentioned for her return.
The family then managed a trip to South Africa to visit Charlene – which she posted about on Instagram – but she missed her children’s first day back at school in Monaco.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK