PRINCE PHILIP used to spend sleepless nights worrying about his grandchildren, Prince William and Prince Harry, unearthed reports reveal.
- Kate and William make 'deliberate move' to turn spotlight on George, Charlotte & Louis
- Prince George 'to make a very good king' thanks to Prince William and Kate training
- Kate 'pillar of strength' for William as he faced 'a really hard time with his brother'
- Kate Middleton shows off new £9,000 diamond necklace in anniversary portrait with William
- Kate Middleton gives 'hidden nod' to Princess Diana with 'timeless' fashion choices
- Kate and Prince William ignore Royal Family tradition to be closer to their children
The Duke of Edinburgh celebrated his 98th birthday in June, two years after announcing his retirement from royal duties. During his incredibly long life, the Queen’s consort has become particularly renowned for his witty-one liners and unconventional behaviour. Unlike other royals, the Duke of Edinburgh is famous for saying exactly what he wants, when he wants.
He is also reportedly much more cynical than the rest of his family.
In a 1986 report for Woman’s Own magazine, Philip revealed he had nightmares about the world his grandchildren would have lived in.
He said Princes William and Harry would have grown up in a society where “you can’t even trust your neighbour” and a world plagued by a “frightening” population explosion.
The Queen‘s husband told the publication: “I have nightmares about the world the next generation or the generation after that is going to live in.
- Royal officials 'who sneered about Kate' will now be the ones 'bowing lowest to her'
- William promised to be silent while Harry boosted global fame through Vax Live appearance
- 'I gasped!' Kate Middleton's 'hand was shaking' as she revealed Princess Diana's ring
- Kate voiced concern after Prince Harry bypassed tradition with Meghan Markle proposal
- Mike Tindall played pivotal role in helping Zara recover from huge 'disappointment'
- Kate Middleton 'perfectly at home in Balmoral' before Meghan snubbed visit
Prince Philip’s nightmares: How the Duke revealed fears for William and Harry (Image: GETTY)
- ‘Cut-rate Ed Sheeran!’ Prince Harry’s ‘evangelical’ concert speech ridiculed by radio host
- Meghan Markle’s standing ovation claim debunked by video before Harry’s Vax Live event
- Meghan Markle 'spent awful lot of time' with 'big binder of notes' on Royal Family life
- ‘Staggering hypocrisy!’ Piers Morgan fumes at Meghan Markle for book about father-son bond
- Meghan Markle ‘didn’t anticipate’ difficulties of royal life – ‘Couldn’t hack it’
- Queen Kate Middleton: New poll shows more than 75 percent of UK backs Duchess as Queen
The Duke of Edinburgh (Image: GETTY)
“The rate at which the world’s population is growing is frightening.
“It’s inevitable that grave damage is going to be done to the world in the next 100 years.
“But there is little appreciation of the problems.”
In a despairing mood, the Prince added: “The older I get, the more I think things are going to get worse.
Princes William and Harry (Image: GETTY)
“There was a period in this country when you could leave your car unlocked, your from door open – when you could trust anybody.
“Now you can’t even trust your neighbour.”
On the horrors of nuclear war, the Duke of Edinburgh added: “Nuclear weapons are not going to go off by themselves.
“Some idiot has to order it to happen.”
Prince Philip’s family tree (Image: GETTY)
Young Princes William and Harry (Image: GETTY)
The journalist who spoke to him at the time, said about the Prince: “When I first interviewed him 15 years ago, he was optimistic about the future.
“Not today, however.
“Now, having grand-children on his own, he worries about the world his descendants are to enjoy.”
Source: EXPRESS CO UK