PRINCE PHILIP will have doctors on standby, according to a leading royal insider, who said that the Queen was on alert amid the risk coronavirus posed to her husband.
Prince Philip, who is “enormously vulnerable” to coronavirus, has doctors on standby, according to leading royal insiders. Both Prince Philip and the Queen travelled to Windsor Castle on Thursday amid fears over their safety from the coronavirus pandemic. Royal expert Angela Mollard said that the Queen’s husband will have doctors on staff during their isolation at Windsor.
Ms Mollard told the ROYALS podcast: “Prince Philip is enormously vulnerable, as he is a very sick person anyway.
“He was in hospital at Christmas Time, so they will be protecting his health at Windsor. There will be doctors on staff.”
The Queen and Philip will be based at Windsor with a reduced number of staff as a precaution.
The advanced age of both the Queen, who is the nation’s longest-reigning monarch, and her husband mean they are more at risk of complications if they catch coronavirus.
Both Prince Philip and the Queen travelled to Windsor Castle on Thursday (Image: GETTY)
The couple’s move to Windsor Castle came a week earlier than planned due to the outbreak in the UK (Image: GETTY)
On Thursday, Her Majesty, 93, was pictured leaving Buckingham Palace with her pet corgis.
Prince Philip joined the Queen, with the 98-year-old flown from Wood Farm at Sandringham, where it is understood the Duke of Edinburgh had been staying since Christmas.
The couple’s move to Windsor Castle came a week earlier than planned due to the outbreak in the UK.
The Queen was originally scheduled to arrive at Windsor Castle for the Easter break, but government officials urged her to move the date sooner.
The last time Prince Philip was seen was in December when he was pictured leaving the King Edward VII hospital (Image: GETTY)
The last time Prince Philip was seen was in December when he was pictured leaving the King Edward VII hospital in west London after receiving treatment.
It is the first time that Prince Philip, who is said to be in “good health,” had been together with the Queen since February when she returned to royal duties from her Christmas break.
Earlier this week, Ms Mollard told listeners: “You have to remember her husband Prince Philip is very elderly and very vulnerable.
“I think the Queen would be very much limiting any kind of interaction.”
Her Majesty, 93, was pictured leaving Buckingham Palace (Image: GETTY)
Also on Thursday, the Queen issued a message to the nation on the outbreak, saying the UK is “entering a period of great concern and uncertainty”.
The 93-year-old praised the work of scientists, medics and emergency staff, but added that everyone has a “vitally important part to play”.
The monarch said she and her family “stand ready to play our part”.
The virus has now seen 144 people who tested positive die in the UK.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK