Prince Philip has been transferred to St Bartholomew’s Hospital, Buckingham Palace has revealed. There, doctors will continue to treat him for an infection – as well as run tests for a pre-existing condition.
- Kate and William make 'deliberate move' to turn spotlight on George, Charlotte & Louis
- Prince George 'to make a very good king' thanks to Prince William and Kate training
- Kate 'pillar of strength' for William as he faced 'a really hard time with his brother'
- Kate Middleton shows off new £9,000 diamond necklace in anniversary portrait with William
- Kate Middleton gives 'hidden nod' to Princess Diana with 'timeless' fashion choices
- Kate and Prince William ignore Royal Family tradition to be closer to their children
Buckingham Palace said in a statement: “The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition.”
Prince Philip was rushed to Papworth Hospital for a blocked coronary artery in 2011.
St Barts Hospital is well known for being excellent in cardiac care, and its heart centre is Europe’s largest specialised cardiovascular service.
While it provided more details on Prince Philip’s health, the palace remained tight-lipped on the kind of infection the Duke is suffering from.
Prince Philip health update: The Duke of Edinburgh has been transferred to another hospital
Prince Philip health update: Prince Philip has been self-isolating at Windsor Castle for the most part of 2020
The palace statement added: “The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week.”
Prince Philip was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital on February 16, as revealed by Buckingham Palace on February 17.
At the time, his representative said the Duke had been admitted for “observation and rest” after saying he was “feeling unwell”.
Royal sources said two weeks ago the Duke of Edinburgh travelled from Windsor to London by car and it was not an “emergency admission”.
Rather, they added, it was due to an “abundance of caution” by his doctor.
However, royal fans were left worrying for Prince Philip after Prince Charles was spotted arriving at King Edward VII Hospital from his home in Gloucestershire.
Prince Philip health update: Prince Philip retired from public duties in 2017
Prince Philip health update: Prince Philip leaving Papworth Hospital in 2011
Prince Charles remained inside the hospital for approximately 30 minutes and appeared to be upset upon leaving it.
Only a few days later, however, Prince William raised hopes for his grandfather after, during his first face-to-face engagement due to the pandemic on February 22, he said the Duke of Edinburgh was “ok” and doctors were “keeping an eye on him”.
Buckingham Palace provided its first update on Prince Philip’s health on February 23, revealing the Duke was suffering from an infection.
The palace’s latest statement read: “The Duke of Edinburgh remains at King Edward VII Hospital, where he is receiving medical attention for an infection.
Prince Philip health update: Prince Philip married the Queen in 1947
“He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days.”
The last member of the Royal Family to speak publicly about Prince Philip’s health was Prince Edward.
Six days ago, in an interview with Sky News, the Earl of Wessex said his father was “a lot better”.
He said: “As far as I’m aware, well I did speak to him the other day, so he’s a lot better thank you very much indeed, and he’s looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing.
Prince Philip health update: Prince Philip was rushed to hospital in 2011 for a heart issue
“So we keep our fingers crossed.”
Asked if the Duke, who famously doesn’t want people to make a fuss when it comes to his health or his special anniversaries, was frustrated at being in hospital, Prince Edward added: “Just a bit!
“I think that gets to all of us, and then, you can only watch the clock so many times and the walls are only so interesting.”
Prince Philip, who is turning 100 on June 10, was last admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in December 2019 to receive treatment for a “pre-existing condition”.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK