The Duke of York’s US lawyer Andrew Brettler reportedly has the legal papers relating to Ms Guiffre’s allegations of s*xual assault which she filed against the royal at a court in New York last month. Prince Andrew has always vehemently denied the allegations against him.
On Tuesday, ITV Royal Editor Chris Ship claimed that the Queen’s favourite son “won’t contest” the serving of the documents to his lawyer in the USA- which paves the way for a civil case to take place.
He tweeted: “A Prince Andrew update (when isn’t there one). So ‘service’ has happened.
“The prince’s US lawyer Andrew Brettler has it. And, on this occasion, he won’t contest it.
“It means the Prince’s challenge to last week’s High Court decision is nullified as the papers were served in the US.”
The news emerged just hours after Ms Giuffre’s lawyers claimed that the royal had been served with the papers.
The documents were reportedly emailed and sent via the courier firm FedEx to Mr Brettler in Los Angeles on Monday.
Once served, the Duke of York’s legal team have seven days to challenge the High Court’s decision to formally notify Andrew about the US civil case against him.
According to tonight’s development, this will now not happen.
It comes after the High Court in London accepted last Wednesday a request by Ms Giuffre’s lawyers to formally contact the duke about the legal proceedings launched in the US.
Ms Giuffre is suing Prince Andrew for allegedly s*xually assaulting her when she was 17.
It happened after she was allegedly groomed and trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein – who died in prison while awaiting trial for multiple s*x crimes in 2019.
Her case against Prince Andrew is going through a civil court meaning that the royal could not be jailed if the court rules in her favour.
However, it could rule that he pays Ms Giuffre the “substantial damages” she is seeking.
The issue of whether or not Andrew has been notified about the case – known as service of proceedings – was contested during the first pre-trial hearing of the civil case in New York on September 13.
David Boies, representing Ms Giuffre, said papers had been “delivered to the last known address of the defendant” and documents had also been sent “by Royal Mail”.
Mr Brettler, the duke’s attorney, said the royal’s legal team contested the validity of service to date and insisted he has not been properly served under either UK or international law.
Mr Brettler also told the hearing, Ms Giuffre had previously entered into a “settlement agreement” in 2009 that would potentially nullify her case.
Last Thursday, Manhattan Judge Loretta Preska said Andrew could request the unsealing of the document agreed between Giuffre and convicted s*x offender Mr Epstein.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK