THE High Court has accepted a request to notify Prince Andrew about Virginia Giuffre’s civil case in America.
Jeffrey Epstein accuser Ms Guiffre is suing the Duke of York for alleged s*xual . Andrew has denied all the allegations.
The question of whether the Duke had been properly served notice of the case dominated the first pre-trial hearing in New York on Monday.
The High Court in London today confirmed it has accepted a request by Ms Giuffre’s legal team to formally contact Andrew about the civil proceedings launched in America.
Under the Hague Service Convention, a treaty that governs requests between countries for evidence in civil or commercial matters, Ms Giuffre’s legal team can ask the High Court to officially notify the Duke about her civil action.
After earlier highlighting an issue with the application, the High Court said later: “The lawyers acting for Ms Giuffre have now provided further information to the High Court, and the High Court has accepted the request for service under the Hague Service Convention.
The High Court has accepted a request to notify Andrew about Virginia Giuffre’s civil case in the US
“The legal process has not yet been served but the High Court will now take steps to serve under the convention unless service is arranged by agreement between the parties.”
The Duke’s lawyer, Andrew B Brettler, said at the pre-trial hearing at the US district court for the southern district of New York on Monday that he had not been properly notified about the civil proceedings.
Mr Brettler said during the hearing, held via telephone conference, that Andrew’s legal team contested “the validity of service to date”, adding he has not been properly served under either UK or international law.
David Boies, representing Ms Giuffre, said that the complaint had been “delivered to the last known address of the defendant”.
He added that the documents had also been sent “by Royal Mail”.
But it appears Mr Boies and his colleagues are trying another course by making the request to the High Court.
Monday’s hearing, Mr Brettler said Andrew’s legal team had “significant concerns” about the lawsuit, and that Ms Giuffre had previously entered into a “settlement agreement” that would nullify her case.
Ms Giuffre is suing the Queen’s son for allegedly s*xually ing her when she was a teenager.
She is seeking unspecified damages, but there is speculation the sum could be in the millions of dollars.
She claims she was trafficked by Andrew’s former friend and convicted s*x offender Epstein to have s*x with the Duke when she was aged 17 and a minor under US law.
Andrew has vehemently denied all the allegations.