In Andrew’s tribute to his father, he said: “He was a remarkable man.
- Kate and William make 'deliberate move' to turn spotlight on George, Charlotte & Louis
- Prince George 'to make a very good king' thanks to Prince William and Kate training
- Kate 'pillar of strength' for William as he faced 'a really hard time with his brother'
- Kate Middleton shows off new £9,000 diamond necklace in anniversary portrait with William
- Kate Middleton gives 'hidden nod' to Princess Diana with 'timeless' fashion choices
- Kate and Prince William ignore Royal Family tradition to be closer to their children
“I loved him as a father. He was so calm.
“If you had a problem, he would think about it.
“That’s the great thing that I always think about, that he was always somebody you could go to and he would always listen so it’s a great loss.
Prince Andrew’s comeback rattles Palace
Prince Charles passed away on Friday
“We’ve lost almost the grandfather of the nation.
“And I feel very sorry and supportive of my mother who’s feeling it probably more than everybody else.”
Prince Andrew stepped back from royal life in 2019 following the disastrous interview with the BBC over his relationship with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
But MailOnline’s Dan Wootton said some royal courtiers argued there is no way back for the Duke following Philip’s death.
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip
He said: “Andrew has insisted on taking a full role during the funeral preparations and intends to use his status as the Queen’s favourite son to support her on a daily basis behind-the-scenes at Windsor Castle as she deals with her grief.
“However, some senior royal courtiers disagree that there is a way back for the Duke of York.
“While they acknowledge Andrew has a right to attend his father’s service, they do not think it should provide a springboard back to other high profile ‘Buckingham Palace balcony’ events.”
A source close to the Royal Family said Prince Charles is “adamant” there is no way back for Andrew while allegations hang over him.
They told the MailOnline: “Prince Andrew might hope that this sad situation changes things, but Prince Charles is adamant there is no way back while allegations hang over him.
“He spoke on camera in a private capacity because this is a family event.
“No one can stop him doing that.”
In December, the Queen kicked off a new era for the Royal Family with an event attended by seven of her family members – with the group quickly being dubbed the “New Firm”.
Andrew, as well as Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, were notably absent from the line-up.
The New Firm included Prince Charles, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Anne and Prince Edward and Sophie, Countess of Wessex.
Over the last 17 months, Prince Andrew has not taken part in any royal engagements.
He was also not included in the official pictures of the wedding of his daughter Princess Beatrice last year.
The Duke of York said in a statement to have asked the Queen to be allowed to temporarily steep back as senior royal.
Prince Philip’s funeral is set to take place this Saturday but due to Covid restrictions, the service is limited to just 30 mourners.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK