Royal commentator Camilla Tominey hit out at Meghan Markle’s win, saying that it is “not a vindication of Harry and Meghan’s repeated attacks on the entire press”. She added that the win “also revealed just how much control Meghan had all along”.
This comes after the Duchess of Sussex won the latest stage in her legal fight against the publisher of the Mail on Sunday.
She brought a civil action suit against Associated Newspapers in 2019 after they published a letter she had written to her father.
The High Court ruled against the newspaper in February.
While Associated Newspapers was refused permission to appeal against the decision, it went to the Court of Appeal in an attempt to get the original ruling overturned.
Meghan Markle has been slammed for her attacks on the press, despite her court win earlier today
Royal commentator Camilla Tominey hit out at the Duchess’s win
The Court of Appeal today rejected Associated Newspapers’ attempt to have a trial, adding: “the judge had correctly decided that, whilst it might have been proportionate to publish a very small part of the letter for that purpose, it was not necessary to publish half the contents of the letter.”
Speaking after her victory, the Duchess of Sussex said it was a win “not just for me, but for anyone who has ever felt scared to stand up for what’s right”.
However, Ms Tominey rejected this assessment, saying: “This was a judgment on a narrow issue involving one newspaper.”
The commentator said: “The result is undoubtedly a triumph not only for the Duchess but the Royal Family – who had been dreading the prospect of the case going to trial, when yet more correspondence between the Sussexes and their staff would inevitably have been laid bare for the media to lap up.
The Duchess of Sussex brought a civil action suit against Associated Newspapers in 2019
Ms Tominey described the win as a “triumph” for the Royal Family
“Meghan wasted no time in issuing a jubilant statement describing the judgment as ‘a victory not just for me, but for anyone who has ever felt scared to stand up for what’s right,’ warning: ‘Tomorrow it could be you.’
“But as the Court of Appeal said – this was a judgment on a narrow issue involving one newspaper.
“It is not a vindication of Harry and Meghan’s repeated attacks on the entire press.
Writing in the Telegraph, the Associate Editor added: “Moreover, what Meghan has shown is that when newspapers get it wrong – there is a legal recourse.
“If only the same could be said of social media, which continues to publish with impunity.
“In exposing the lengths the Duchess went to not only to write a letter to her father – but also to brief Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand so they could write their flattering account of “Megxit”, this case has also revealed just how much control Meghan had all along.
“During the Oprah Winfrey interview, she claimed to have been “silenced” by the monarchy.
“But what we have actually learned from this action is that she had a voice – and knew how to use it.”
Associated Newspapers said it was disappointed by the outcome and is considering a further appeal to the Supreme Court.
The Duchess of Sussex said it was a win ‘not just for me’
A spokesperson for Associated Newspapers said: “It is our strong view that judgment should be given only on the basis of evidence tested at trial, and not on a summary basis in a heavily contested case.”
The Court of Appeal accepted Meghan’s argument that the letter to Thomas Markle in August 2018 – which had been leaked to the Mail on Sunday by Mr Markle – was “deeply personal”.
Her father leaked the contents of the letter as he wanted to address what he thought were unfair media accounts.
The judges were told that 585 out of the 1,250 words in the letter to her estranged father had been republished in five articles.
In their decision, the three judges said the letter’s contents were “personal, private and not matters of legitimate public interest”.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK