Camilla Tominey, royal correspondent for the Telegraph, wrote about the Queen’s absence from the memorial service in a recent article. The 95-year-old was set to attend the service at the Cenotaph today after missing out on the COP26 summit in Glasgow.
This summit was being held between October 31 and November 12 and was being attended by activists, world leaders and royals alike.
However, the Queen was forced to pull out of this event and was told to rest by doctors.
Speculation had grown about Her Majesty’s health and concerns of the public grew larger.
But hope was provided when Buckingham Palace had announced Her Royal Highness was hoping to attend the service in London.
Queen will be the most upset about her Remembrance Sunday absence
Queen Elizabeth speaking virtually after missing COP26
Despite this, the Queen was once again absent from the event, this time with a sprained back.
Ms Tominey wrote: “Her Majesty was desperate to attend but doctors will have urged caution for 95-year-old who lives outside comfort zone of others her age.
“The clue was in the last-minute nature of the cancellation of the Queen’s attendance at Sunday’s service of Remembrance at the Cenotaph.
“The decision went to the wire because the 95-year-old monarch had been so keen to attend what has always been a sacrosanct date in the royal diary.
Queen Elizabeth II
Kate and Sophie at the Remembrance Sunday
“For the truth is, no one will be more frustrated by her recent spout of ill health than the Queen herself.”
Buckingham Palace had issued a statement about the Queen’s absence from the ceremony in central London.
Buckingham Palace’s statement read: “The Queen, having sprained her back, has decided this morning with great regret that she will not be able to attend today’s Remembrance Sunday Service at the Cenotaph.
“Her Majesty is disappointed that she will miss the service.
“As in previous years, a wreath will be laid on Her Majesty’s behalf by The Prince of Wales.
“His Royal Highness, along with The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, will be present at the Cenotaph today as planned.”
Reacting to the palace announcement, journalist Piers Morgan wrote on Twitter: “There’s something we’re not being told about the Queen’s health, it’s clearly a more serious situation than the Palace is saying.”
Prince William at the Cenotaph
Twitter user Phil Jones tweeted: “There’s no way HM would miss the service today unless she was really poorly.
“Very sad, she’s given so much to this country, wishing HM a very speedy recovery.”
Evelyn Dalton tweeted: “I’m starting to think the same, there’s no way the Queen would miss anything unless it was very serious and her medical advisors insist on resting.”
Source: EXPRESS CO UK