Meghan Markle’s family SHOCK: Great-great-great grandmother’s LINK to Windsor Castle
MEGHAN Markle’s connection to the royal family started more than a century ago, long before she married Prince Harry.
The Duchess of Sussex’s ties to the royal household have spanned across generations, a database of palace staff revealed last year.
- Kate and William make 'deliberate move' to turn spotlight on George, Charlotte & Louis
- Prince George 'to make a very good king' thanks to Prince William and Kate training
- Kate 'pillar of strength' for William as he faced 'a really hard time with his brother'
- Kate Middleton shows off new £9,000 diamond necklace in anniversary portrait with William
- Kate Middleton gives 'hidden nod' to Princess Diana with 'timeless' fashion choices
- Kate and Prince William ignore Royal Family tradition to be closer to their children
Meghan’s great-great-great grandmother worked as a cook at Windsor Castle as a teenager, 160 years before the Duchess married in to the Royal Family.
A database of Royal Household staff revealed a worker called M. Bird, who appeared in the Windsor Castle Weekly Disbursement Book in 1856, around the same Meghan’s relative Mary would have been there.
- Royal officials 'who sneered about Kate' will now be the ones 'bowing lowest to her'
- William promised to be silent while Harry boosted global fame through Vax Live appearance
- 'I gasped!' Kate Middleton's 'hand was shaking' as she revealed Princess Diana's ring
- Kate voiced concern after Prince Harry bypassed tradition with Meghan Markle proposal
- Mike Tindall played pivotal role in helping Zara recover from huge 'disappointment'
- Kate Middleton 'perfectly at home in Balmoral' before Meghan snubbed visit
Mary Bird married Irish shoemaker Thomas Bird, a British Army officer who served in Ireland and India.
She was then disowned by her family and the couple moved to Malta with the Army where they had two children, including Meghan’s great-great grandmother in 1862, who was also named Mary.
They spent 20 years in Malta, during the period when British India trade empire was at its peak.
After her husband died, Mary migrated her family to Canada, then to Meredith and finally settled in New Hampshire.
Mary is connected to Meghan’s controversial father, Thomas Markle.
Her role in the royal family comes in stark contrast to the Duchess, who is now British royalty.
- ‘Cut-rate Ed Sheeran!’ Prince Harry’s ‘evangelical’ concert speech ridiculed by radio host
- Meghan Markle’s standing ovation claim debunked by video before Harry’s Vax Live event
- Meghan Markle 'spent awful lot of time' with 'big binder of notes' on Royal Family life
- ‘Staggering hypocrisy!’ Piers Morgan fumes at Meghan Markle for book about father-son bond
- Meghan Markle ‘didn’t anticipate’ difficulties of royal life – ‘Couldn’t hack it’
- Queen Kate Middleton: New poll shows more than 75 percent of UK backs Duchess as Queen
This comes after photos of Meghan’s 2015 trip to Malta recently resurfaced on social media.
Meghan described Malta as an island of “bucolic bliss”, during her visit to the island three years ago.
The former Suits actress looked joyful in a series of pictures taken during her trip, during a shoot for fashion magazine ELLE UK.
The Duchess said the trip was to learn more about her roots and fit the pieces of her cultural puzzle, while immersing herself in traditional Maltese food and wine.
She said in a 2015 interview: “To come somewhere where you so quickly settle in to feeling welcomed is really special. I started to say, ‘Oh my gosh I do sort of blend in’.”
Meghan added: “In Gozo I loved the fresh goat’s milk cheeses, particularly the pickled ones with the black pepper on them.
“I’m about to have the spaghetti with rabbit, which I’ve been waiting to try. This morning, for breakfast, I tried the pastizzi with peas and ricotta. Oh my goodness they’re delicious! So my suitcase will be filled with all sorts of Maltese treats.”
The Duchess looked elegant in a £1,600 MaxMara ‘Manuela’ Coat, with casual boyfriend jeans and a grey shirt.
The photoshoot remerged on social media, after Joe Little of Majesty magazine tweeted them earlier this week.
The images were taken just four months before Meghan met her husband, Prince Harry and two years later, and was swept into a whirlwind romance with a royal.
One photo shows Megha dressed in a traditional Maltese għonnella headdress, standing beside Marquis Nicholas de Piro and his wife Frances at their home Casa Rocca Piccola.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK