Meghan and Prince Harry’s tell-all interview with Oprah left the Royal Family and Buckingham Palace reeling. And, more than a month later, people still feel “hurt and very wary” of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, according to sources.
- Kate and William make 'deliberate move' to turn spotlight on George, Charlotte & Louis
- Prince George 'to make a very good king' thanks to Prince William and Kate training
- Kate 'pillar of strength' for William as he faced 'a really hard time with his brother'
- Kate Middleton shows off new £9,000 diamond necklace in anniversary portrait with William
- Kate Middleton gives 'hidden nod' to Princess Diana with 'timeless' fashion choices
- Kate and Prince William ignore Royal Family tradition to be closer to their children
One royal insider said: “No one should underestimate the damage done by that Oprah interview.
“The fact of them leaving is sad but wouldn’t have been such a problem had they gone about it in a different way.
“The interview was disgraceful on so many fronts.
“Not just what Harry – and Meghan – said about their own family.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry spoke to Oprah Winfrey earlier this year
Prince Harry and Prince William were spotted speaking after the funeral
“But also the way in which they attacked every decent person who had worked for them and tried to support them.”
The insider also told Mail+: “There is a lot of anger about that. It is all so sad but… also very damaging.”
As a result of the blistering claims made during the interview and Meghan and Harry’s difficult split from the Royal Family there is still “a long way to go” before the rift can be healed, according to the sources.
The ice between key members of the Royal Family was broken on April 17, the day of Prince Philip’s funeral, for which Prince Harry travelled across the pond.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry arriving at Westminster Abbey in March 2020 on their last joint royal engagement
On that day, Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry came face to face for the first time in more than one year.
The three men spoke privately after the funeral but, according to a source who spoke to Harper’s Bazaar, key issues haven’t been dealt with.
They said: “Saturday broke the ice for future conversations but outstanding issues have not been addressed at any great length.
“The family simply put their issues to one side to focus on what mattered.”
During his nine-day stay in the UK, the Duke of Sussex is also understood to have held at least two private meetings with his grandmother the Queen, for which he told Oprah has the utmost respect.
During the landmark two-hour-long interview, Prince Harry told Oprah he and Meghan left the Royal Family because of “lack of support and lack of understanding”.
Both the Duke and Duchess said they felt trapped by the institution, with Meghan claiming she barely left the house during a four-month stretch and was advised not to have lunch with a friend because of the extensive coverage in the media.
Meghan also claimed “concerns” were raised while she was pregnant with Archie Harrison over “how dark” her baby’s skin would be.
Moreover, she revealed she was heavily struggling with her mental health but said she was denied help by the palace.
As a result, she turned to a friend of Princess Diana because she could understand “what it’s actually like on the inside”.
Meghan also spoke about the Queen, saying she has always been wonderful to her and have remained in touch, and Kate, claiming the Duchess of Cambridge had made her cry in the run-up to her wedding – but later apologised for it.
Prince Harry also spoke about the relationships with his closest relatives, saying he feels “let down” by his father Prince Charles and he is on a different path than his brother William.
The Royal Family issued just one statement in the name of the Queen in response to the several claims made by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
It read: “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning.
“While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.
“Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”
However, in light of the claims of racism within the palace, Prince William responded to a reporter’s question during his first royal visit in London after the interview.
Asked whether the Royal Family is racist, the Duke of Cambridge and second-in-line to the throne replied: “We are very much not a racist family”.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK