A file containing evidence about the case has been passed from the police to the CPS, and relates to claims against one of the charities run by the now-monarch, The Prince’s Foundation, the Telegraph reported.
Mr Fawcett, 59, resigned his position as chief executive of the charity after the allegations surrounding the CBE awarded to Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz in 2016 surfaced.
Mr Mahfouz has denied any wrongdoing.
The Metropolitan Police opened an investigation into the allegations, and possible violations of the 1925 Honours (Prevention of Abuses) Act, earlier this year.
A former aide to King Charles III may face charges from the CPS
The Metropolitan Police then said in a statement earlier this week: “A file was passed to the CPS on 31 October.
“The investigation remains ongoing and we will not be providing a running commentary on its progress.”
Prosecutors will most likely decide how to proceed with the allegations before Christmas, according to the Sunday Times.
Clarence House has previously said Charles had “no knowledge of the alleged offer of honours or British citizenship on the basis of donation to his charities”.
Fawcett worked as Charles’ valet
After an investigation was conducted within the charity, the chair of the foundation, Dame Sue Bruce, called the surfacing and probing of allegations a “difficult chapter”.
She added in a statement: “The board of trustees is determined that lessons will be learned to ensure that, in future, our charity maintains the highest standards in all areas and always acts with the utmost integrity and probity.”
But the investigation, handled by auditors EY, concluded that “there is evidence that communication and co-ordination took place between the CEO at the time and so-called ‘fixers’ regarding honorary nominations for a donor between 2014-18”.
Back in September, the Metropolitan Police confirmed that two men had spoken with the force under caution in relation to the allegations.
Mr Fawcett first came to work for the Royal Family in 1981
A spokesman for the foundation said in September: “While it would be inappropriate to comment on an ongoing investigation, it should be noted that The Prince’s Foundation continues to offer its full co-operation.”
Anti-monarchy organisation Republic had submitted a formal complaint to the force about the then-Prince of Wales and Mr Fawcett in 2021.
A spokesperson for Mr Mahfouz previously said he had “not had communication to either request, influence or make any arrangements regarding citizenship or knighthood with Mr Fawcett, or anyone connected to HRH The Prince of Wales or The Prince’s Foundation”, according to The Times.
Charles has been quoted as saying in the past: “I can manage without just about anyone except for Michael.”
Buckingham Palace declined to comment on an ongoing police inquiry to the BBC.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK