KATE, Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince William have marked Prince Philip’s 99th birthday with a heartfelt message.
- Kate and William make 'deliberate move' to turn spotlight on George, Charlotte & Louis
- Prince George 'to make a very good king' thanks to Prince William and Kate training
- Kate 'pillar of strength' for William as he faced 'a really hard time with his brother'
- Kate Middleton shows off new £9,000 diamond necklace in anniversary portrait with William
- Kate Middleton gives 'hidden nod' to Princess Diana with 'timeless' fashion choices
- Kate and Prince William ignore Royal Family tradition to be closer to their children
Kate and Prince William publicly marked the 99th birthday of the Duke of Edinburgh with a short message and two pictures shared on their social media accounts. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge wrote from their social media accounts, Kensington Royal: “Wishing a very happy 99th Birthday to His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh!”
The message was accompanied by two snaps which show the close relationship between the three royals.
In one, Prince Philip and his grandson laugh together during the 2015 Rugby World Cup Final match between New Zealand and Australia at Twickenham Stadium in October 2015.
In the second Kate smiles as she looks at the Duke of Edinburgh waving at the loving crowd.
This heartfelt gesture was much appreciated by royal fans, who within minutes flooded the tweet with likes.
- Royal officials 'who sneered about Kate' will now be the ones 'bowing lowest to her'
- William promised to be silent while Harry boosted global fame through Vax Live appearance
- 'I gasped!' Kate Middleton's 'hand was shaking' as she revealed Princess Diana's ring
- Kate voiced concern after Prince Harry bypassed tradition with Meghan Markle proposal
- Mike Tindall played pivotal role in helping Zara recover from huge 'disappointment'
- Kate Middleton 'perfectly at home in Balmoral' before Meghan snubbed visit
Kate and Prince William publicly wished Prince Philip a happy birthday (Image: GETTY)
- ‘Cut-rate Ed Sheeran!’ Prince Harry’s ‘evangelical’ concert speech ridiculed by radio host
- Meghan Markle’s standing ovation claim debunked by video before Harry’s Vax Live event
- Meghan Markle 'spent awful lot of time' with 'big binder of notes' on Royal Family life
- ‘Staggering hypocrisy!’ Piers Morgan fumes at Meghan Markle for book about father-son bond
- Meghan Markle ‘didn’t anticipate’ difficulties of royal life – ‘Couldn’t hack it’
- Queen Kate Middleton: New poll shows more than 75 percent of UK backs Duchess as Queen
Kate and Prince William’s message to Prince Philip (Image: GETTY)
Many took the chance to wish the Duke of Edinburgh a happy birthday themselves by replying to Kate and William’s tweet.
One wrote: “Such sweet pictures! Happy 99, Sir!”
Another said: “Happy Birthday Sir, here’s to many more”.
And a third added: “Wishing the happiest birthday to His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh”.
Another Twitter user joked about the Cambridges addressing the Duke of Edinburgh by his royal title and mentioned the video call that will likely happen later today between the Queen, Prince Philip and Kate and William.
They wrote: “Behind closed doors though do you still call him Grandad?
“Happy birthday to your Grandad. (good luck with that video call)”
Kate and Prince William laughing with Prince Philip during Trooping the Colour (Image: GETTY)
Kate and Prince William will likely call the Duke later today (Image: GETTY)
Kate and Prince William revealed in April they have been keeping in touch with phone calls and video chats with the rest of their family during the lockdown.
Speaking to the BBC in an interview focused on mental health, the Duchess revealed they have been holding daily calls with their extended families, both with the Middletons and other royals.
The Duke chimed in to lightly mock the elder members of the family and their relationship with technology.
He said: “We have been talking to all the family online.
Prince Philip was born 99 years ago today (Image: EXPRESS)
“It’s been a really good way of keeping in touch and seeing each other.
“As you can imagine, the younger generation are a little bit more tech-savvy. But only just.
“I think we’re getting there now, the family are getting a little bit more used to being able to contact each other and pressing the right buttons and dropping the computer halfway through.”
Kate and William’s birthday message to Prince Philip comes after Buckingham Palace released a new picture of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.
Prince Philip has been self isolating with the Queen at Windsor Castle (Image: GETTY)
Published on The Royal Family’s social media account, the snap represents the Queen in a flower-print dress standing next to her husband of 72 years.
The caption read: “This new photograph of The Duke of Edinburgh and The Queen was taken last week in the quadrangle at Windsor Castle to mark His Royal Highness’s 99th birthday tomorrow.”
The couple have been self-isolating together at Windsor Castle since March 19.
The Duke was helicoptered to Berkshire from his five-bedroom cottage in Sandringham, where he had lived since September.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK