Meghan Markle honeymoon: Is Prince Harry taking Meghan to Ashford Castle?
TWITTER was ablaze this morning with rumours of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry honeymooning in Ireland, as the world waits to see where the Duke and Duchess will head to celebrate their marriage. So is Harry taking Meghan to Ashford Castle?
Royal-watchers have speculated for months over where the couple, who were married in Windsor on May 19, could honeymoon.
- Kate and William make 'deliberate move' to turn spotlight on George, Charlotte & Louis
- Prince George 'to make a very good king' thanks to Prince William and Kate training
- Kate 'pillar of strength' for William as he faced 'a really hard time with his brother'
- Kate Middleton shows off new £9,000 diamond necklace in anniversary portrait with William
- Kate Middleton gives 'hidden nod' to Princess Diana with 'timeless' fashion choices
- Kate and Prince William ignore Royal Family tradition to be closer to their children
Popular opinion has been that Meghan and Harry would escape to Africa to recreate the magic of their first holiday together when they started dating.
More recently, the couple was tipped to be planning a trip to Canada, where Meghan lived while filming the legal drama Suits.
Speculation that a trip to Ashford Castle is on the cards began when members of the public were denied access to the medieval castle-turned-hotel.
- Royal officials 'who sneered about Kate' will now be the ones 'bowing lowest to her'
- William promised to be silent while Harry boosted global fame through Vax Live appearance
- 'I gasped!' Kate Middleton's 'hand was shaking' as she revealed Princess Diana's ring
- Kate voiced concern after Prince Harry bypassed tradition with Meghan Markle proposal
- Mike Tindall played pivotal role in helping Zara recover from huge 'disappointment'
- Kate Middleton 'perfectly at home in Balmoral' before Meghan snubbed visit
One Twitter user said: “The first time I go to Ashford Castle and we couldn’t get into the castle or around it because the Royals are within.”
Another posted: “Meghan and Harry are supposedly at Ashford Castle.
“Security was really tight compared to what it had been the last time I was there.”
Locals in the area have reported that roads around the castle are closed and security is high.
- ‘Cut-rate Ed Sheeran!’ Prince Harry’s ‘evangelical’ concert speech ridiculed by radio host
- Meghan Markle’s standing ovation claim debunked by video before Harry’s Vax Live event
- Meghan Markle 'spent awful lot of time' with 'big binder of notes' on Royal Family life
- ‘Staggering hypocrisy!’ Piers Morgan fumes at Meghan Markle for book about father-son bond
- Meghan Markle ‘didn’t anticipate’ difficulties of royal life – ‘Couldn’t hack it’
- Queen Kate Middleton: New poll shows more than 75 percent of UK backs Duchess as Queen
What is Ashford Castle?
Ashford Castle is a medieval and Victorian castle that has been expanded over the centuries and turned into a five-star luxury hotel on the Mayo-Galway border in Ireland.
The castle has an incredibly long and interesting history, dating back to 1228.
It was passed from hand to hand and eventually sold to Sir Benjamin Lee Guinness in 1852, who added two Victorian style extensions and planted thousands of trees on the estate.
In 1939, the castle was sold to Noel Huggard who converted the historic building into a hotel.
Since then, the stunning venue has hosted many famous guests and been the location of a number of film shoots.
Notable guests have included The Prince of Wales (later King George V) and his consort (the future Queen Mary), John Lennon, George Harrison, Oscar Wilde, President Ronald Reagan, Brad Pitt and Robin Williams.
The hotel comprises of 83 rooms, suites and the beautiful private Hideaway Cottage.
Ashford Castle also has an award-winning spa where guests can relax by the heated pool or indulge in a variety of massage therapies.
You could stay there too – with rooms starting at a cool £700 a night and climbing well into the thousands, a little piece of the magic could be yours.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK