‘Everyone included’ in decision to strip Andrew of titles as remaining royals will step up

1277

PRINCE ANDREW losing his titles was a decision made by the entirety of the Royal Family as they will assume his reclaimed responsibilities, according to a royal expert.

On Thursday, Prince Andrew was stripped of his military titles and royal patronages in a shock announcement from Buckingham Palace. The Duke of York, 61, will also lose the ability to call himself His Royal Highness in an official capacity.

The statement from the Palace confirmed the Queen’s assent to the decision to remove the titles from her son.

Royal Family News
Be the first one to hear the latest news of the royal family by joining our WhatsApp group.

The titles will be returned to the monarch, 95, who will then redistribute them to other members of the Royal Family, it is understood.

Each of the Royal Family members who could receive additional duties previously carried out by Prince Andrew were involved in the consultation, a royal journalist has now said.

Speaking to German news outlet Stern, Omid Scobie commented: “When we were briefed by the Palace on what was happening, we were told that the decision was discussed within the extended family.

Queen and andrew

A royal expert has said Andrew’s title stripping was a decision involving the whole family (Image: Getty)

andrew

The Duke of York has consistently denied the allegations against him (Image: Getty)

“Everyone was included.”

The author of Finding Freedom said: “Before such a decision is made, the question of who will take on which tasks is discussed.

“These military titles and charitable patronages must be assumed by other members of the royal family.

“So it was only natural that the decision should be discussed in this round before it was announced.”

andrew military

Prince Andrew was stripped of his military titles and royal patronages (Image: Getty)

Queen and Andrew

The statement from the Palace confirmed the Queen’s assent to the decision (Image: Getty)

The Palace added: “The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen.”

Earlier this week, the move by Andrew’s legal team to dismiss a civil suit brought by Jeffrey Epstein accuser, Virginia Giuffre, was rejected by US judge Lewis Kaplan.

The Duke of York has consistently denied the allegations against him.

Charles Andrew

Omid Scobie commented: ‘We were told that the decision was discussed within the extended family’ (Image: Getty)

Mr Scobie has described how Judge Kaplan’s verdict not to throw out Ms Giuffre’s civil suit was a key moment for whether the Duke of York would retain his titles.

“I wasn’t surprised because his last chance to avoid a trial was gone with Judge Kaplan’s decision.

“I always thought that at that moment the Royal Family would do anything to distance themselves from him.”

He added: “Andrew was so desperate to clear his name and finally start working for the Crown again to some extent – however unlikely it was – that it has kept him from backing down.

“The judge’s decision has now provided clarity: the case will go to court – whether he likes it or not.”

Mr Scobie zeroed in on the precise wording of Buckingham Palace’s statement on the removal of the Queen’s second son’s titles.

He added: “The fact that this statement includes the word “private citizen” draws the strongest line between her and Andrew.

“The Queen basically publicly says: Now he’s on his own.”

Additional reporting by Monika Pallenberg.

Source: EXPRESS CO UK

Diana Legacy Header Logo Image
inbox gif

Get Update News In Your Inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Latest Update News Images Videos of British Royal Family

↑ Grab this Headline Animator