Elton John leads tributes to ‘angel’ Princess Diana on 20th death anniversary
Sir Elton John led the tributes to Princess Diana on Thursday, marking exactly 20 years since the royal passed away. Elton, 70, remembered his dear friend as he shared an Instagram photo of the pair laughing and embracing. “20 years ago today, the world lost an angel. #RIP,” he wrote. The singer famously performed an alternative version of his poignant song Candle In The Wind in honour of Diana at her funeral, held days after she was killed in a Paris car crash.
- Kate and William make 'deliberate move' to turn spotlight on George, Charlotte & Louis
- Prince George 'to make a very good king' thanks to Prince William and Kate training
- Kate 'pillar of strength' for William as he faced 'a really hard time with his brother'
- Kate Middleton shows off new £9,000 diamond necklace in anniversary portrait with William
- Kate Middleton gives 'hidden nod' to Princess Diana with 'timeless' fashion choices
- Kate and Prince William ignore Royal Family tradition to be closer to their children
- Royal officials 'who sneered about Kate' will now be the ones 'bowing lowest to her'
- William promised to be silent while Harry boosted global fame through Vax Live appearance
- 'I gasped!' Kate Middleton's 'hand was shaking' as she revealed Princess Diana's ring
- Kate voiced concern after Prince Harry bypassed tradition with Meghan Markle proposal
- Mike Tindall played pivotal role in helping Zara recover from huge 'disappointment'
- Kate Middleton 'perfectly at home in Balmoral' before Meghan snubbed visit
In a BBC documentary which aired on Sunday, Prince Harry revealed how the song had moved him on the day. “Elton John’s song was incredibly emotional, that was part of this whole trigger system which nearly brought me to the point of crying in public, which I’m glad I didn’t do,” Harry said on Diana, 7 Days.
- ‘Cut-rate Ed Sheeran!’ Prince Harry’s ‘evangelical’ concert speech ridiculed by radio host
- Meghan Markle’s standing ovation claim debunked by video before Harry’s Vax Live event
- Meghan Markle 'spent awful lot of time' with 'big binder of notes' on Royal Family life
- ‘Staggering hypocrisy!’ Piers Morgan fumes at Meghan Markle for book about father-son bond
- Meghan Markle ‘didn’t anticipate’ difficulties of royal life – ‘Couldn’t hack it’
- Queen Kate Middleton: New poll shows more than 75 percent of UK backs Duchess as Queen
Other stars have also remembered the People’s Princess, with Katie Piper taking to Instagram to share a quote from the royal. She wrote: “‘Only Do What Your Heart Tells You’ Princess Diana, 20 Years #rip#princessdiana.” Girls Aloud singer Nicola Roberts also shared a picture of Diana looking her usual chic self. “She had style like she invented the whole thing. Beautiful woman,” Nicola wrote.
In the lead-up to her 20th death anniversary, fans have been visiting Diana’s former home, Kensington Palace, to pay their respects. The palace gates have been transformed into a shrine, with a large floral display spelling out Diana’s name taking centre stage. Hundreds of cards, flowers, pictures and candles have also been placed by the gates.
Diana’s sons Prince William, 35, and Prince Harry, 32, visited the site to see for themselves the outpouring of love and admiration for their mother. On Wednesday, the eve of her death anniversary, the brothers met fans who had stood in the rain outside Kensington Palace, hoping to lay flowers and cards at her shrine. Standing under umbrellas, William and Harry took time to speak to the public and look at the tributes in scenes reminiscent from 20 years ago when they – then aged 15 and 12 – walked outside the palace taking in the sea of tributes.
Source: HELLO MAGAZINE
Tags: Prince William, Prince Harry, Elton John, Royals, British Royals News, British News, Royals update news