Do you support axing of Andrew’s taxpayer-funded security?

297

The Duke of York will reportedly have his taxpayer-funded police guard removed within a matter of weeks.

Reports suggest he is looking to appeal the decision, with a source telling the Sun on Sunday: “He is going to write to the Home Office and the Met Police to complain about losing his taxpayer-funded security.”

Andrew’s demand for state-funded security is likely to cause a backlash as Britain faces a cost of living crisis and soaring bills.

One senior Labour MP said: “I know he has a title, but that doesn’t mean he is entitled to taxpayer-funded protection. I know families who don’t know if they will be able to afford their kids’ Christmas presents this year.”

Prince Andrew

Royal POLL: Do you support the axing of Andrew’s taxpayer-funded security? (Image: Getty)

King Charles’ brother was forced to step down from official royal duties in late 2019 following a BBC Newsnight interview and revelations of his friendship with Jeffrey Epstein.

Virginia Giuffre launched a civil lawsuit against Andrew in August last year, accusing him of sexual assault. The pair later reached an out-of-court financial settlement and his lawyers say this is not an admission of guilt. Andrew has always vehemently rejected any allegations of wrongdoing.

The Duke has since tried to return to royal life, but his efforts have been repeatedly blocked, with Charles and Prince William fearing he could plunge the Firm into crisis.

A recent YouGov poll showed Andrew to be the least popular member of the Royal Family, with just eight percent of the public having a favourable opinion of him.

Prince Andrew and Charles at Diamond Jubilee

Charles has reportedly told his brother there would be no hope of a comeback (Image: Getty)

Recent reports claim that Charles and Andrew had “emotional and fraught” conversations in Scotland before the Queen’s death over his role in the Firm. A source claimed Charles told his brother there would be no hope of a comeback under his reign.

An insider told the Mail on Sunday earlier this month that Andrew was left “tearful” and “utterly bereft” at the outcome.

They said: “Andrew was totally blindsided. He is utterly bereft. He always believed there was a way back. Andrew was extremely close to the Queen and tried to raise the issue of his return to public life many times with her.

“Naive as it may sound, he always had hopes of regaining his position as a senior Royal. At the meeting, Charles told him that he can go off and have a good life, a nice life, but that his public life as a Royal is at an end. He was told: ‘You have to accept this’.”

Source: EXPRESS CO UK

Diana Legacy Header Logo Image
inbox gif

Get Update News In Your Inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Latest Update News Images Videos of British Royal Family

↑ Grab this Headline Animator