Buckingham Palace moves to protect King Charles as Netflix series The Crown

2769

The streaming giant announced over the weekend that the fifth series of The Crown is set to launch on November 9.

A senior royal source insisted on Sunday that The Crown is “a drama not a documentary” marking the first pushback from the Palace against the controversial show.

Meanwhile, a friend of the King blasted The Crown as “exploitative” and claimed Netflix would have “no qualms about mangling people’s reputations” – even the late Queen’s.

The source told the Telegraph: “What people forget is that there are real human beings and real lives at the heart of this.”

Another source suggested Charles and Camilla carrying out their new royal roles will counter the portrayal in the royal drama.

It comes as polls show their popularity has soared since becoming King and Queen Consort.

King Charles

The Palace has moved to protect King Charles’s reputation ahead of the new series of The Crown (Image: GETTY)

The insider said: “You will see the King and the Queen Consort on state business in the UK and abroad and people will have more of an opportunity to compare the real people with the fiction they see in The Crown.

“In the past they didn’t get so much coverage, so in that sense it was harder for people to be able to compare and contrast the drama with the reality.”

It comes after Netflix announced that the fifth series will launch on November 9.

The Crown has traditionally launched in November, and the upcoming series will see Dominic West star as Charles and Elizabeth Debicki as Diana.

The Crown

A dramatic trailer for the latest series of The Crown was released over the weekend (Image: NETFLIX)

The Crown was due to end after the fifth series, but the show’s creator and writer Peter Morgan later said it will be extended to include one more.

Filming on the sixth series of The Crown was halted following the death of the late Queen and was also suspended on the day of the funeral.

The series has previously sparked controversy with calls for a disclaimer to be added to the beginning of episodes making clear it is a work of fiction.

Charles Camilla

Charles and Camilla’s popularity has soared since becoming King and Queen Consort (Image: GETTY)

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex signed their deal with the streaming giant after quitting as working royals for a new life in the US in 2020.

Mr Jobson said: “How can Harry and Meghan carry on with this Netflix deal?

“There are many who believe this fiction is fact. It will cause untold damage to our King and Queen Consort around the world early in his reign.

“Are Harry and Meghan really that hard up? Come of ‘H’ show some loyalty to your country.”

Source: EXPRESS CO UK

Diana Legacy Header Logo Image
inbox gif

Get Update News In Your Inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Latest Update News Images Videos of British Royal Family

↑ Grab this Headline Animator