The Duchess of Cambridge felt “threatened” by Meghan Markle’s arrival on the scene, it has been claimed.
- ‘Unsettling!’ Meghan and Harry face backlash for ‘commodifying’ children ‘from birth’
- Queen only royal who can diffuse rift as William doesn’t ‘trust Harry anymore’ say experts
- Prince Harry may bring Archie during UK return - ‘Great diffuser of the situation’
- Princess Diana's amazing ability to 'seek out people' hailed in touching tribute
- Charles ‘worried’ about line of succession law change before Archie and Lilibet arrival
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry bought Lilibet Diana web domains before birth of daughter
Kate had been used to having the spotlight to herself before Meghan’s romance with Prince Harry, according to royal expert Carole Malone. The broadcaster and journalist explained that Kate could have been “put out” when successful actress Meghan joined the royals.
Speaking on Channel 5 documentary Kate V Meghan: Princesses At War, Ms Malone said: “I think Kate would very definitely be threatened by Meghan’s presence and her appearance on the royal scene.
- Meghan left Fiji engagement 'because UN did not make her a goodwill ambassador'
- They'll never get out! Harry and Meghan 'part of royals' whether pair 'like it or not'
- William confessed A-listers refused to work with him before Harry’s star-studded doc
- Prince Charles makes cute salute to son William as he turns 39
- Queen could use 'final trump card' in threat to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
- Prince Charles tries to palm off anti-wrinkle cream to Camilla in cheeky gaffe
“I do think if you had been the top dog, if you had been the young gorgeous girl that everyone had been photographing for the last two or three or four years. You might be a little bit put out when this gorgeous, American, Hollywood star arrives on the scene.”
The broadcaster and journalist added that the two women are “very different characters”.
Ms Malone said: “Kate is the quintessential English rose. She went to private schools, she was never a feminist in the way Meghan is, she never was outspoken.
“Meghan on the other hand is a driven girl. She came from a totally different kind of family.
“It was dysfunctional, her parents were divorced and Meghan had to strive for everything that she got so they are two very different characters.”
The claims come amid rumours of a royal rift between Meghan and Kate.
Speculation of a row began last November when the Sussexes announced their plans to move from Kensington Palace – where they are Prince William and Kate’s neighbours – to Frogmore Cottage in Windsor.
The duchesses have faced reports of an incident over Princess Charlotte’s bridesmaid dress and a clash about staff.
But Meghan and Kate put any fall out behind them on Christmas Day as they attended church in Sandringham.
The two women chatted and laughed together as they stepped out for the morning service.
And their friendly display could put an end to speculation of tensions.
Meghan met Harry in July 2016 after being introduced by a mutual friend.
The loved-up pair embarked on a long-distance relationship, with Meghan based in Toronto, Canada, for her starring role as Rachel Zane in US legal drama Suits.
They announced their engagement in November 2017 and their spectacular royal wedding followed the next May.
Meghan is expecting their first child in the spring.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK