MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry are still using the SussexRoyal brand despite stepping down as senior royals in March. But a royal expert has revealed why the couple are still using the link.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry sensationally quit as senior royals at the beginning of the year and as part of their separation agreement with the Queen, the couple agreed to stop using the SussexRoyal brand. But despite the divorce deal, the pair have still been using the link on their website and have not yet changed the name of their social media accounts.
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams has suggested why Meghan and Harry have not yet officially changed the brand.
Speaking to Express.co.uk he said the coronavirus pandemic has forced the couple to delay the launch of their new charitable foundation, Archewell – meaning the couple have been unable to rebrand.
He said: “They have been caught up in the pandemic.
“That is why the launch of their charity has been delayed.
A royal expert has revealed why Meghan and Harry are still using the SussexRoyal brand (Image: Getty/SussexRoyal)
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are still using SussexRoyal as the domain name for their webstie (Image: SussexRoyal)
“For whatever they intend to do in the future everything has been put on hold – as it would be.”
Mr Fitzwilliams continued: “They are still using the Sussex Royal link to their website and that hasn’t been changed.
“The reason that hasn’t been changed is because as I say it’s all been held up.
“The world has been altered, how temporarily or not we don’t yet know.”
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry haven’t posted on their Instagram account since March 30 (Image: Instagram/SussexRoyal)
Meghan and Harry’s official website is still under the domain name ‘SussexRoyal’ and states it is: “The official website of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.”
Their official Instagram account also still bears the name SussexRoyal, but the couple have not posted on the account since March 30.
The Sussexes made an agreement with the Queen in January on what their new roles would involve.
Meghan and Harry were told they would retain their “HRH” prefix, but would no longer actively use the titles as they would cease to be working members of the family from April 2020.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry stood down as senior royals at the end of March (Image: Getty)
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are currently living in LA with their son, Archie (Image: Getty)
The change meant that the couple would formally remain known as His Royal Highness The Duke of Sussex and Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex – but the pair were banned from actively using the titles.
Following their split as senior royals, it was also agreed the couple would stop using their SussexRoyal brand.
Meghan and Harry had been in discussions with aides and senior royals about using the name and it was agreed the word “royal” could not be used due to Government rules.
A spokesperson for the Sussexes said they were “focused” on plans to establish their new organisation in the spring and agreed not to name it the Sussex Royal Foundation.
Timeline leading up to Meghan and Harry’s decision to quit the Royal Family (Image: Express)
Meghan and Harry are due to launch a non-profit charitable entity, Archewell, to champion causes close to their hearts.
But the couple have postponed a public announcement about the charity until next year as they focus on the coronavirus crisis and the Black Lives Matter movement.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK