PRINCESS BEATRICE’s new husband Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi accidentally broke royal protocol when he “scooped the Queen” after the couple’s royal wedding earlier this month.
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip were among a small number of guests who attended the private, but beautiful ceremony in Windsor on July 17. Beatrice, who is known to have a close relationship with the 94-year-old monarch, tied the knot with her beau, nicknamed Edo, an Italian property developer, who is descended from Italian nobility. Despite his background, Edo managed to make a mistake just hours after his wedding that could have been taken as a slight to the Queen.
He released several photographs from the ceremony on his own Instagram account, but quickly deleted them as it is tradition that Buckingham Palace should release photographs first.
Pod Save the Queen hosted by Ann Gripper and featuring Daily Mirror royal editor Russell Myers spoke about the moment.
Mr Myers commented Edo is “not altogether on it with the processes” but they should let him off because he was probably “giddy with excitement” because of the wedding.
He said: “They both looked overjoyed in those photographs, and in the pictures that were released on Edo’s personal Instagram post that were hastily taken down, but then they released a couple of them…
The Queen and Philip socially distancing from Beatrice and Edo on their wedding day (Image: Benjamin Wheeler / PA Images)
“I mean, it was a bit of a scandal!”
Ms Gripper added: “He scooped the Queen, clearly!”
Mirror Online lifestyle editor Zoe Forsey added: “He beat the Queen to it, yeah, that’s not a good job for your first day in the Royal Family ‒ to outshine the Queen with your photos!”
Mr Myers said: “I know, he’s not altogether on it with the processes of the Palace.
Beatrice and Edo were originally supposed to tie the knot in May (Image: GETTY)
“However, I think he was probably absolutely giddy with excitement so we’ll let him off, because it was his wedding day after all.”
Beatrice and Edo tied the knot at All Saints Chapel in Windsor Great Park, just a short walk from the Yorks’ Royal Lodge Home and a short drive from Windsor Castle.
Buckingham Palace released two official photographs, one of which shows the newlyweds emerging from the chapel and another was a socially distanced snap with the Queen and Philip.
After his earlier fumble, Edo later released just a couple of extra photos of him and his grinning bride.
Prince Andrew walking Beatrice’s sister Eugenie down the aisle in 2018 (Image: GETTY)
None of the pictures featured the mother or father of the bride, Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew, although both were present at the nuptials.
There was much speculation as to whether the Duke of York would feature in the wedding, after the scandal over his friendship with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
Andrew has stepped back from royal duties, but the scandal around him has been a cloud hovering over Beatrice’s wedding for months.
Mr Myers said: “The Yorks have had a pretty tough time of it, I mean that’s putting it mildly isn’t it?
“But they’ve had an awfully bad time in terms of press and then you’ve got all the pressure with Beatrice’s wedding, whether Andrew was going to walk her down the aisle, whether he would be seen in the photos, and this was all before the wedding had been announced!
“And I did feel very sorry for Beatrice because, talking from experience, it’s stressful planning for a wedding anyway and then you’ve got all this extra attention on the day and who will be there.”
Beatrice’s wedding was originally supposed to be in May but got delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Due to restrictions on large gatherings, Beatrice’s ceremony had fewer than 20 people in attendance and was a much more stripped-back version of what had initially been intended.
Mr Myers explained that this is a “testament to their relationship” that they decided to plough ahead with the wedding as soon as they could, even though it could not be exactly how they wanted.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK