But the lockdown restrictions have allowed the 94-year-old Monarch to spend more time with Prince Philip.
Royal commentator Katie Nicholl said: “I remember speaking to a very well-placed source at the time who said while the Queen was, like the rest of the country, was very down about the pandemic and not being able to work [as usual] and being in lockdown, the real upside for her was the time she got to spend with Philip.”
During the last seven months, the couple have spent more time with each other than they have since their early married life from 1949 to 1951.
Ms Nicholl added: “While some couples may have found that intensity of being together stretching or testing, they clearly got on very well… they really enjoyed that time together.”
These comments come after the couple celebrated their 73rd wedding anniversary together at Windsor Castle, where they have been living during the lockdown.
Like most families this year, Christmas will not be the same due to the coronavirus pandemic, with many not being able to spend it with their loved ones.
And the Royal Family are facing the same issue with traditional festivities being put on hold due to the pandemic.
For the first time in 33 years, the Royal Family’s annual Christmas in Sandringham may be impossible due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Her Majesty and Prince Philip usually host members of the Firm for Christmas in their Norfolk home.
Royal sources have said an official decision will be decided before the end of the second lockdown on December 2.
A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: “No final decision has been taken on Christmas.”
Earlier this year, it was revealed the Queen has ruled out attending church in the Christmas royal tradition in a bid to prevent the usual crowds gathering for the annual family turnout.
This is thought to be only the third time in her reign she will not attend church with her family on Christmas Day – and the first time the Windsors have not attended en masse in that time.
The Queen is facing another heartbreak this festive season by not being able to see her great-grandson Archie.
As Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are currently living in Los Angeles with their son, any plans to return this year have been thwarted multiple times due to the pandemic.
The spokesperson said: “It is unlikely the Duke and Duchess will be travelling before the end of the year because the focus had been the trial in January.
“As that is no longer happening, there are no plans to travel at the moment, but any travel plans will be kept under review.”
Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced this week the tier system will be reintroduced and the rule of six is likely to still be in place.
However, he warned it is up to families to make a “careful judgement” on visiting elderly relatives.
Mr Johnson continued: “But this virus obviously is not going to grant a Christmas truce. It doesn’t know it’s Christmas.
“Families will need to make a careful judgement about visiting elderly relatives.”
Source: EXPRESS CO UK