Queen Elizabeth II vows ‘new beginning’ after Megxit drama with ‘Magnificent Seven’

5023

QUEEN ELIZABETH II is said to have promised a “new beginning” for the Royal Family after Meghan Markle and Prince Harry gave back their titles and patronages, a source has claimed.

The Queen, following Meghan and Harry’s final decision to step back from the Royal Family, “considers the matter closed”.

Now the Sussexes are confirmed to be out, the Queen has given the all-clear to what Palace officials call the ‘Magnificent Seven’ to carry out public engagements.

This includes Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Anne, Prince Edward and his wife Sophie, Countess of Wessex.

Royal sources told the Sunday Mirror the Queen wants to draw a line under “Megxit” and looks forward to a “new beginning”.

File -Anne Hidalgo Mayor of Paris and Francois Hollande President of France walk behind Queen Elizabeth II as she visits Paris Flower Market on June 7

Queen Elizabeth II news: The Queen wants a ‘new beginning’ after Megxit (Image: PA)

File photo dated 07/01/20 of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex during their visit to Canada House, central London

Queen Elizabeth II news: The monarch ‘considers the matter closed’ on Harry and Meghan’s status, and wants to move on (Image: PA)

Last year, the Sussexes were granted a 12-month “Megxit” review period during which they would step back from royal duties but retain patronages.

In a recent conversation between the Queen and the Duke over the Sussexes future, Harry was reportedly told their multi-million dollar deals and commercial interests cannot fit with their status as public servants.

One official close to the matter claimed to the Daily Mail the Queen told her grandson: “You work for the monarchy, the monarchy doesn’t work for you.”

File photo dated 8/6/2019 of Queen Elizabeth II is joined by members of the royal family on the balcony of Buckingham Place watch the flypast after th

Queen Elizabeth II news: She is now said to want seven other royals to ‘put on a united front’ with royal appearances (Image: PA)

File photo dated 03/07/18 of Queen Elizabeth II attending a reception for 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force. 

Queen Elizabeth II news: During her phone call with Harry, she reportedly said ‘the monarchy doesn’t work for you’ (Image: PA)

Harry and Meghan had all their royal roles stripped by the Queen after they informed her they would not work as full time royals.

The titles lost include Harry’s appointments with The Royal Marines, RAF Honington and the Royal Navy Small Ships and Diving, in addition to his patronages for the Rugby Football Union and the Rugby Football League.

Royal expert Charlie Lankston said to Access: “We know that Harry has a great love of the military, we know he was devastated when he had to step away from active duty many years ago.

“And that, I think, is going to be what really hurts him the most. Having to give up the titles he worked so hard to get in the first place.

“They will still be the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, they will still be able to use His and Her Royal Highness however it is understood they will not use those titles in day to day life whenever they are doing any kind of professional job.”

Buckingham Palace said in a statement confirming the Sussexes status: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family.

“Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.

“The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.

“While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.”

Queen Elizabeth II news:

Queen Elizabeth II news: The Queen, according to Buckingham Palace, was ‘saddened by their decision’ (Image: EXPRESS)

Queen Elizabeth II news:

Queen Elizabeth II news: Meghan and Harry stepped down from royal life last March (Image: EXPRESS)

In response, a spokesperson for the Sussex royals said: “As evidenced by their work over the past year, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role.

“We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”

A Sussex source said to The Times after the statement was released: “There is no hiding that this is a difference of opinion.”

Robert Lacey, royal historian, also described it as “a definite pushback at the palace”.

Source: EXPRESS CO UK

Diana Legacy Header Logo Image
inbox gif

Get Update News In Your Inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Latest Update News Images Videos of British Royal Family

↑ Grab this Headline Animator