PRINCESS EUGENIE is the youngest daughter of Prince Andrew and his ex-wife Sarah, Duchess of York. But did you know about the touching tribute the couple made with their daughter’s unusual name choice?
- ‘Unsettling!’ Meghan and Harry face backlash for ‘commodifying’ children ‘from birth’
- Queen only royal who can diffuse rift as William doesn’t ‘trust Harry anymore’ say experts
- Prince Harry may bring Archie during UK return - ‘Great diffuser of the situation’
- Princess Diana's amazing ability to 'seek out people' hailed in touching tribute
- Charles ‘worried’ about line of succession law change before Archie and Lilibet arrival
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry bought Lilibet Diana web domains before birth of daughter
Prince Andrew and Sarah, Duchess of York, welcomed their youngest daughter, Princess Eugenie, on March 23, 1990. Her older sister Princess Beatrice was born in 1988, and both sisters hold quite unique names for members of the Royal Family.
Princess Eugenie’s full title is Princess Eugenie of York, a title she holds as the daughter of the Duke of York.
Her full name is Eugenie Victoria Helena, and her first name and middle names all have strong links to the Royal Family.
When Princess Eugenie’s name was announced following her birth in 1990, many were surprised by the Duke and Duchess’ choice for their youngest child.
- Meghan left Fiji engagement 'because UN did not make her a goodwill ambassador'
- They'll never get out! Harry and Meghan 'part of royals' whether pair 'like it or not'
- William confessed A-listers refused to work with him before Harry’s star-studded doc
- Prince Charles makes cute salute to son William as he turns 39
- Queen could use 'final trump card' in threat to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
- Prince Charles tries to palm off anti-wrinkle cream to Camilla in cheeky gaffe
Princess Eugenie name: The touching tribute behind Eugenie’s unusual royal name (Image: GETTY)
Princess Eugenie name: Princess Eugenie was born to the Duke and Duchess of York in 1990 (Image: GETTY)
However, though the names of Beatrice and Eugenie are uncommon royal names nowadays, both were actually names used by members of the family in the past.
It is thought Princess Eugenie was named after Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg, who was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria.
Eugenie’s middle name of Helena was also the name of one of Queen Victoria’s daughters, Princess Helena.
It also goes without saying Eugenie’s middle name of Victoria was also the name of the British monarch, Queen Victoria.
Princess Eugenie name: Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie are thought to be named in tribute to Queen Victoria (Image: GETTY)
Princess Eugenie name: Beatrice and Eugenie’s mother Sarah is known to be interested in the life of Queen Victoria (Image: GETTY)
The eldest York sister Princess Beatrice is also thought to be named after Queen Victoria’s youngest daughter, who was also named Princess Beatrice.
Beatrice and Eugenie’s mother Sarah is known to be interested in the life of Queen Victoria, and it is possible she could have paid a touching tribute to one of Britain’s most famous monarch’s through her choice of names for her daughters.
Whenever people have struggled to pronounce her name, Princess Eugenie explained to The Telegraph in 2008 how her mother had a clever way of explaining her name when she was a child.
She said: “Whenever we used to meet foreign people who were struggling with it, my mum and I would help them by saying, ‘It’s like Use Your Knees.’
“But whatever. I am now used to every pronunciation.”
Some of Princess Eugenie’s cousins do not hold Prince or Princess titles.
But as the daughter of the son of a monarch, Eugenie and her sister Beatrice were both entitled to Princess titles when they were born.
King George V issued a Letters Patent in 1917, which restricted the use of Princess titles only to the daughters of the Sovereign, or the daughters of the Sovereign’s sons.
As the daughter of the Sovereign, Princess Anne is entitled to the Princess style.
Princess Eugenie name: Princess Eugenie married Jack Brooksbank in 2018 (Image: GETTY)
However, her children were not automatically in receipt of titles, and is it only the monarch’s grandchildren through the male line who receive Prince and Princess titles.
As the daughters of the Queen’s son, Prince Andrew, both Beatrice and Eugenie are Princesses.
But their cousins, Zara Tindall and Peter Phillips, do not have any royal titles at all as they were born to the Queen’s daughter.
Princess Eugenie married Jack Brooksbank in 2018, at a spectacular wedding at St George’s Chapel, Windsor.
But after their marriage, the Queen did not grant Eugenie or her husband any new royal titles.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK