Charlotte is the only daughter to Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince William, while George is their eldest son. The two youngsters are subsequently third and fourth in line to the throne, after their father and their grandfather, Prince Charles. If seven-year-old George one day inherits the crown, he will automatically become head of the Armed Forces, too.
While it’s not mandatory for heirs to the throne to serve, the vast majority do — and Prince Harry encouraged both his niece and nephew to do so.
He told The Sunday Times: “I would definitely encourage George, and Charlotte if she wants to, to have some sort of involvement in the Armed Forces, guaranteed.
“And I know that William and Catherine would probably echo that as well, depending on the situation for them in those years to come.”
Harry was speaking back in 2015, three years before his youngest nephew Prince Louis was born, which explains why he did not mention the two-year-old.
He continued: “It’s done no harm, just good, for me and I know it’s the same for William.
Princess Charlotte, Prince George and Prince Harry with Kate Middleton and Prince William
Harry served in the Army for a decade and left in 2015
“It’s hard to say anything else on that because, as a parent, it’s your choice.”
Harry and Meghan have a son, Archie, who turns two in May, and they recently announced their second child is on the way.
The Duke of Sussex has often spoken out about his passion for the Army, but it’s not known if he will encourage his children to follow suit.
He once told the Mail on Sunday that “being in the Army was the best escape I’ve ever had”, and that he “felt as though I was really achieving something”.
He added: “I wasn’t a prince, I was just Harry.”
Harry has often expressed his devotion to the Armed Forces
Harry and Meghan have one son, Archie and are expecting another child later this year
The royal left the Army in 2015, after a decade of service and two tours in Afghanistan.
But, Harry continued to show his passion for the Armed Forces though, by founding the international sporting event the Invictus Games for injured or sick Army personnel.
The Duke of Sussex also had three honorary military appointments which recognised his long-standing commitment to service.
However, he was temporarily stripped of these when he and Meghan decided to step down from the royal frontline last year, for a 12-month trial period.
Sources claim that this was a particularly difficult pill for Harry to swallow as part of his departure from the Firm.
The Cambridges with Harry
William, Kate, George, Charlotte and Louis
The pro-Sussex biography, Finding Freedom, claimed: “The most demoralising aspect of the [royal exit] deal was Harry being stripped of his honorary military appointments.”
A source told the authors: “That’s a tough pill to swallow and one that has been most painful to Meghan witness him go through. It’s the one that made Harry emotional.”
Last month, the couple confirmed that they had no intention of returning to the royal frontline and so these military patronages were permanently handed back to the Queen to be redistributed among the remaining royals.
His 2015 interview with the Sunday Times also illuminates the stark difference between Harry’s previous views on royal life compared to his most recent comments.
Discussing the advice he would pass onto his niece and nephew six years ago, Harry said: “As an uncle, you know, I would say enjoy the role [of being a royal], because at first it’s just pressure, pressure, pressure.
“Just enjoy it and make the most of it.
“If you’re going to be doing it and you’re having an effect on so many people then, if you smile, they’re smiling — and what’s the point of doing such a unique job without enjoying it?”
Yet, in his interview with his friend and chat show host James Corden which aired last week, Harry provided some insight into why he and Meghan chose to leave last year — and it was clear he did not enjoy it towards the end of his time on the royal frontline.
Speaking on the Carpool Karaoke segment of the Late Late Show, Harry said the situation was “destroying my mental health” and that he did “what any husband [or] father would do”.
He added: “It’s like, ‘I need to get my family out of here’.
“But we never walked away. I will never walk away. I will always be contributing.”
He did also clarify that they were “stepping back rather than stepping down” as senior royals.
Harry then told Mr Corden: “My life is always going to be about public service.
“Meghan signed up to that, and the two of us enjoy doing that, trying to bring compassion, trying to make people happy and trying to change the world in the smalle way that we can.”
Harry is believed not to have been in the UK since March 2020, and so will not have seen his niece and nephews since.
However, he and Meghan are said to have sent some Christmas presents to the young royals back in December.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK