During his first engagement outside of his residence in Sandringham this year, Prince William spoke to NHS staff and volunteers about their experiences of being involved in the largest vaccination programme in British history.
There, he was asked by veteran royal photographer Arthur Edwards how the Duke of Edinburgh, who was admitted to hospital last Tuesday, is doing.
Whilst giving a wink of the eye, Prince William replied saying: “Yes, he is okay – they’re keeping an eye on him.”
Last week, Buckingham Palace revealed the Duke of Edinburgh had been taken to King Edward VII Hospital following the advice of his doctor.
Prince Philip health update: Royal fans are leaving cards and balloons for the Duke outside of the hospital
The palace said in a statement: “His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London, on Tuesday evening.
“The Duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell.
“The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest.”
Prince Philip health update: The Duke of Cambridge during his first face-to-face engagement of the year
Prince Philip’s trip to the hospital was not an emergency admission, royal sources said, adding the doctor was acting with an “abundance” of precaution.
Buckingham Palace hasn’t issued any update on the Duke’s health since last Wednesday, but royal sources continue to stress Prince Philip is in “good spirits”.
On Friday, an insider said: “Following consultation with his doctor the Duke of Edinburgh is likely to remain in hospital for observation and rest over the weekend and into next week.”
However, royal watchers became more concerned about Prince Philip’s health on Saturday, when Prince Charles travelled to London from Gloucestershire to pay him a visit at the hospital.
The Prince of Wales, the Queen and Philip’s eldest son, spent approximately 30 minutes at the hospital before travelling back to Highgrove, where he is staying with Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, visitors are allowed inside hospitals only under “exceptional circumstances”.
While Buckingham Palace did not disclose which ailment brought the Duke of Edinburgh to feel unwell, sources said he is not suffering from coronavirus.
The Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen received their first vaccination against COVID-19 in January.
A few days after the monarch made the extraordinary decision to speak about this private medical matter, Prince William said to be proud of his grandparents for getting the jab.
During a call with frontline workers, the Duke of Cambridge said: “My grandparents have had the vaccine and I’m very proud of them for doing that.
“It’s really important that everyone gets their vaccine.”
Prince Philip, who is turning 100 on June 10, and the Queen, 94, were included in one of the categories deemed most vulnerable against coronavirus.
Prince Charles and Camilla, who are both over-70, also received the vaccine in mid-February.
During this morning’s visit, Prince William said he is waiting for his turn for the vaccine in line with the Government guidelines on the rollout.
And, when his time comes, he will be at the front of the queue to be jabbed to show people how easy it is to have it done.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK