PRINCE PHILIP has spoken out amid the coronavirus crisis to issue a touching statement to key workers. This is the Duke of Edinburgh’s moving message in full.
Prince Philip, 98, has issued a heartfelt statement amid the coronavirus crisis. While the Duke of Edinburgh retired from royal life in 2017 he has returned to public duty to issue a moving statement to those working hard to find a cure for coronavirus during these exceptional times.
Prince Philip’s statement in full
The Duke of Edinburgh said: “As we approach World Immunisation Week, I wanted to recognise the vital and urgent work being done by so many to tackle the pandemic; by those in the medical and scientific professions, at universities and research institutions, all united in working to protect us from Covid-19.
“On behalf of those of us who remain safe and at home, I also wanted to thank all key workers who ensure the infrastructure of our life continues; the staff and volunteers working on food production and distribution, those keeping postal and delivery services going, and those ensuring the rubbish continues to be collected.”
Prince Philip’s morale-boosting statement echoed the many messages of thanks the Royal Family have sent to key workers throughout the crisis.
Prince Philip coronavirus statement in full: Read Duke’s touching tribute to key workers here (Image: GETTY)
Prince Philip coronavirus statement in full: The Duke came out of retirement to issue the message (Image: GETTY)
The Duke of Edinburgh is spending lockdown at Windsor Castle with Queen Elizabeth II who will celebrate her 94th birthday on April 21.
While the Queen usually marks her birthday in private this year will be an exceptionally quiet day.
The Queen loves to spend time with her family and is usually joined by her children and grandchildren on her birthday.
However, social-distancing will mean she will mark this year’s milestone alone with Prince Philip.
Prince Philip coronavirus statement in full: The Queen will be 94 on Tuesday April 21 (Image: GETTY)
Prince Philip travelled from Sandringham in Norfolk, where he has been based since his retirement, to Windsor Castle before lockdown measures came into full effect.
The Queen will be glad to have the Duke of Edinburgh by her side but has touched on the difficulties faced by families being kept apart by coronavirus.
In her moving Easter message to the nation, the Queen said: “By keeping apart we keep others safe”.
Earlier this month she addressed her subjects in a historic televised speech in which she reassured Britons “we will meet again.”
In the address, the Queen also touched on the difficulties of social distancing and said: “Today, once again, many will feel a painful sense of separation from their loved ones. But now, as then, we know, deep down, that it is the right thing to do.
“While we have faced challenges before, this one is different.
“This time we join with all nations across the globe in a common endeavour, using the great advances of science and our instinctive compassion to heal.
“We will succeed – and that success will belong to every one of us.”
Prince Philip coronavirus statement in full: The Duke has been based at Sandringham since retiring in 2017 (Image: GETTY)
As Prince Philip and the Queen wait out the pandemic at Windsor Castle a new study has suggested the Duke may be responsible for sparking a new trend among Britain’s elderly.
The Duke gave up his driving licence at the age of 97 following a car accident in January last year.
In that same year the number of over 90s voluntarily surrendering their drivers’ licences rose by a fifth, according to a report by the Times.
The 21 per cent rise was more than double the increase during the previous year.
According to experts, this trend could be linked to the Duke of Edinburgh’s decision.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK