PRINCE HARRY made a heartbreaking confession about his relationship with Kate Middleton in a throwback interview.
- Lilibet Diana: Royals told to brace for ‘big uptick’ in Americans using Queen’s nickname
- Zara Tindall and Mike's 5 best Royal Ascot pictures at 1st official outing since son born
- Prince Harry and Prince William ‘regret’ royal rift but damage is ‘irreparable’
- Kate working 'behind-the-scenes' to broker peace between William and 'beloved' Harry
- Queen earned ‘more than £7million’ from horse-racing before Royal Ascot dilemma
- 'Arrogant' Prince Harry savaged after claim Duke 'wants to attend' Queen’s Jubilee party
Harry and his wife Meghan Markle stepped down as senior royals at the end of March and now live in Los Angeles, California with their son Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. However, before they even made this decision, there was talk of a royal rift between Harry and his brother Prince William. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex split from Kensington Palace and set up a new household at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor.
There were reports that Meghan made Kate cry during a dress-fitting for Princess Charlotte and royal insiders admitted the two Duchesses are very “different” people.
It then emerged that the feud was actually between the two brothers, with Harry admitting in October that they were “on different paths”.
The deterioration of the relationship between Harry and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is particularly heartbreaking when it is considered what Harry said about Kate a decade ago.
In 2010, after William proposed to Kate, Harry told the German newspaper Bild that he was “absolutely delighted” his brother “finally popped the question”.
- Prince Harry's 'enormous slap in face' before Queen tribute in baby name
- Queen 'not as excited' by Prince Philip's sweet gesture to Lady Louise, says Sophie Wessex
- Meghan and Harry shot themselves in foot with ‘vacuum’ over Lilibet’s birth
- Meghan and Harry opted against calling daughter Gary in decision to honour Queen
- Royal history made: Heir to the throne REFUSES 'uncomfortable' allowance
- Prince William forced to obey 'seriously annoying' royal tradition when he becomes king
Harry said Kate was like a (Image: GETTY)
Prince Harry speaking to Kate last year (Image: GETTY)
He even claimed Kate was like a “sister” to him, telling the newspaper he was glad Kate was joining the Royal Family.
He said: “I’ve always wanted a sister and now I’ve got one.
“I’ve known Kate for years, and it’s fantastic that she is becoming part of the family.”
The prince had opened up about his relationship with Kate ahead of a trip to Berlin, where he received an award recognising his charity work on German television.
William, Kate and Harry in happier times (Image: GETTY)
He was presented with a Golden Heart during Ein Herz fur Kinder ‒ A Heart for Children ‒ German’s largest television fundraising gala.
Just two months before Kate and William had announced their engagement after eight years of dating.
The couple married in April 2011, and Harry was the best man at the spectacular occasion.
At the time, the three of them used to spend a lot of time together and in the early years of William and Kate’s marriage, Harry even took on joint projects with them.
Prince Harry was best man at his brother’s wedding to Kate (Image: GETTY)
The most notable of these was the Heads Together campaign, which encouraged people to open up about their mental health struggles.
Therefore, it makes it all the more heartbreaking the state of their relationship now and the fact they do not see each other as much as they used to.
What’s more, Harry’s son Archie will not be able to spend time with his cousins Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis as they grow up, because he lives way across the Atlantic.
This is in contrast to William and Harry’s upbringing which was always surrounded by their extended family, including their cousins Peter Phillips, Zara Tindall, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie.
Harry opened up to ITV’s Tom Bradby during the documentary ‘Harry & Meghan: An African Journey’ about his relationship with his brother now.
He said: “Part of this role and part of this job and this family, being under the pressure that it’s under, inevitably stuff happens.
“But we’re brothers, we’ll always be brothers ‒ we’re certainly on different paths at the moment, but I will always be there for him and I know he’ll always be there for me.
William, Kate and Harry wearing Heads Together headbands (Image: GETTY)
“We don’t see each other as much as we used to because we’re so busy.
“But I love him dearly and the majority of stuff is created out of nothing.”
“As brothers, you have good days, you have bad days.”
Source: EXPRESS CO UK