PRINCE HARRY will not make an appearance at this year’s Remembrance Sunday service as a Duke, as palace insiders say he will not be allowed to join his fellow royals.
Insiders at Buckingham Palace told The Sun the wayward Duke won’t be allowed to join his fellow royals at the annual service as he stepped away from full time royal duties in March. Harry has previously voiced his desire to return to the UK to work with his charities, but claimed the ongoing coronavirus pandemic has scuppered chances to make the flight back. While the Duke won’t be able to pay his tributes at the Cenotaph as a royal, experts have claimed he could make an appearance due to his military service.
This year will see the royals hold a “closed door” ceremony marking Remembrance Day from Buckingham Palace’ balcony.
Prince Charles, Princess Anne and Prince William are set to lay poppy wreaths on the Cenotaph along with a small group of veterans.
But Harry is not set to join his family at the ceremony after stepping back from royal duties earlier this year.
A Buckingham Palace source told The Sun as Harry is “no longer a working royal” he “cannot join his family at the Cenotaph”.
Prince Harry news: The Duke will not join his fellow royals at Rememberance Day (Image: PA)
Prince Harry news: A palace insider said he won’t be allowed to attend as the Duke at the ceremony as he is not a working royal (Image: PA)
The source added Harry may still make an appearance at the ceremony, but not as a royal.
They added: “He would be able to attend in his capacity as a former soldier who served his country well in Afghanistan.”
Speculation arose that the Duke would be appearing at the ceremony this year after it was revealed Frogmore Cottage was being prepared for a resident.
Another royal source told the paper: “Staff at Windsor have been told to prepare it for the possibility Harry could come back.”
Prince Harry news: The Duke will be allowed to attend the ceremony as a veteran (Image: PA)
Prince Harry news: Harry and Meghan have been unable to return to the UK due to the coronavirus pandemic (Image: PA)
Harry has previously said he won’t be able to return to the UK this year due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
In a video call with the Rugby Football League in August, the Duke said he “would have been back already had it not been for COVID”.
And according to a source close to Harry, he was “upset” to have missed a trip to Balmoral to spend time with William.
The source said to In Touch Weekly he was frustrated that he couldn’t make the journey in June due to coronavirus restrictions.
Harry and Meghan are now living in Montecito, California after the couple bought their own mansion.
Current US guidelines hold that anyone who has been in UK within 14 days of journeying to America will not be able to enter the country.
UK guidelines also hold that anyone arriving from the US must self-isolate for 14 days.
A royal source told Vanity Fair: “Global travel has been made very complicated by the coronavirus pandemic and at the moment the Duke has no plans to travel back to the UK, certainly not before Christmas.
“The problem is if he comes over then he has to quarantine and that makes things quite difficult.”
Prince Harry news: The Sussexes stepped back from the Royal Family in March (Image: EXPRESS)
Prince Harry news: Harry and Meghan will also spend Christmas in the US this year (Image: PA)
There are exceptions for US citizens, like Meghan, and immediate family members who are allowed to return home immediately.
But the couple are said to be looking to spend their first full Christmas as private citizens in the US.
Katie Nicholl, royal expert, told Vanity Fair: “With coronavirus cases rising in the UK and a possible ban on household mixing, all plans for the royals’ Christmas are also on hold.
“Nonetheless, the news that Harry won’t be coming home will likely be disappointing for the Queen, who is said to miss her grandson and great-grandson Archie, whom she has not seen for a year.”
Source: EXPRESS CO UK