PRINCE ALBERT of Monaco has tested positive for the deadly coronavirus just days after meeting with Prince Charles.
Albert, 62, is the first known head of state infected with the virus after palace officials made the announcement. Monaco has so far confirmed nine cases of coronavirus, the first being recorded at the end of February.
His diagnosis comes just nine days after he was pictured siting opposite Prince Charles at a WaterAid charity event in London.
In a statement released on Thursday, the Prince’s Palace of Monaco said the head of state’s health is not currently a cause for concern.
It added that the Prince is also in constant contact with members of his cabinet, the government, and his closest staff.
He will continue to work from his apartment while under quarantine, the palace added.
Prince Charles met with Prince Albert just days ago at a charity event (Image: GETTY)
It has sparked fears that other members of the royal family might now be at risk from the virus (Image: GETTY)
Doctors from the Princess Gate Hospital – named after his US actress mother – will visit and treat him at his home.
It comes after the monarch announced a string of containment measures for the principality as authorities made an attempt at containing the spread of COVID-19.
Two days earlier, Prince Albert announced a definite ban on group gatherings within the principality.
He said only limited travel, for healthcare and food shopping, would be permitted.
Boris Johnson has been giving a series of daily virus briefings to keep the public updated (Image: GETTY)
He told Monaco’s 39,000 inhabitants: “The way out of this health crisis will depend on your ability to comply with the measures applied.”
Monaco’s Grand Prix will also be postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Similar to neighbouring France, restaurants, casinos, cafes, concert halls, schools and nurseries, cinemas and nightclubs, have all been forced to close their doors.
It is not yet clear whether Prince Albert’s wife, Princess Charlene, has been tested for the virus.
There has not yet been news of any member of the UK royal family having been tested for the virus (Image: GETTY)
Prince Harry is said to feel ‘helpless’ over his father and the Queen being in the UK (Image: GETTY)
The 42-year-old former South African Olympic swimmer, formerly known as Charlene Wittstock, married Albert in 2011.
She and the prince had twins in 2014.
Prince Albert, born in 1958, is the second child of Princess Grace and Princess Rainier of Monaco.
He has two older children from previous relationships.
The country’s best and worst prepared for the pandemic (Image: Express Newspapers)
In his earlier days he became a five-time Olympic bobsledder for Monaco.
More recently, he has turned his attention towards climate change and global warming, in the process becoming something of an environmental campaigner.
The palace has said it will provide regular updates on the prince’s condition to ensure transparency.
The virus has spread to the US with over 100 confirmed deaths (Image: GETTY)
Meanwhile, COVID-19 continues to sweep the globe, with Italy having become the newest epicentre of the outbreak.
There, the death toll has already overtaken China’s – where the virus originated – now standing at 3,405, with deaths rising by a staggering 427 in one day.
Around 220,000 cases of the virus have been recorded worldwide, with more than 9,000 deaths.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK