Phillips and his wife Autumn have confirmed they will split. This is couple’s official statement about their divorce in full
- Lilibet Diana: Royals told to brace for ‘big uptick’ in Americans using Queen’s nickname
- Zara Tindall and Mike's 5 best Royal Ascot pictures at 1st official outing since son born
- Prince Harry and Prince William ‘regret’ royal rift but damage is ‘irreparable’
- Kate working 'behind-the-scenes' to broker peace between William and 'beloved' Harry
- Queen earned ‘more than £7million’ from horse-racing before Royal Ascot dilemma
- 'Arrogant' Prince Harry savaged after claim Duke 'wants to attend' Queen’s Jubilee party
Peter married former actress Autumn, 41, in 2008 after five years of dating.
When the couple first started going native Canadian Autumn was oblivious to her beau’s royal links as his mother Princess Anne opted not to give her children official titles.
The couple have confirmed the will share custody of their two daughters – Isla, 7, and Savannah, 9 following their split.
They have quashed speculation Autumn may return to Canada following the split, saying she will remain in the UK.
- Prince Harry's 'enormous slap in face' before Queen tribute in baby name
- Queen 'not as excited' by Prince Philip's sweet gesture to Lady Louise, says Sophie Wessex
- Meghan and Harry shot themselves in foot with ‘vacuum’ over Lilibet’s birth
- Meghan and Harry opted against calling daughter Gary in decision to honour Queen
- Royal history made: Heir to the throne REFUSES 'uncomfortable' allowance
- Prince William forced to obey 'seriously annoying' royal tradition when he becomes king
Peter Phillips divorce: Peter and wife Autumn officially split – statement in FULL (Image: GETTY)
Peter Phillips and wife Autumn split: They said it was “the best course of action for their two children.” (Image: GETTY)
The couple’s statement in full
A spokesman for the couple said: “They had reached the conclusion that this was the best course of action for their two children and ongoing friendship.
“The decision to divorce and share custody came about after many months of discussions and, although sad, is an amicable one.
“The couple’s first priority will remain the continued well-being and upbringing of their wonderful daughters, Savannah and Isla.
“Both families were naturally sad at the announcement, but fully supportive of Peter and Autumn in the joint decision to co-parent their children.”
“Both Peter and Autumn have remained in Gloucestershire to bring up their two children where they have been settled for a number of years.”
The couple requested “privacy and compassion” for their children while the family continues to adapt to the changes.
Peter Phillips and wife Autumn split: They will have joint custody of Isla and Savannah (Image: GETTY)
Peter Phillips and wife Autumn split: They married in 2008 (Image: GETTY)
Peter and Autumn are the first royal couple of their generation to divorce.
Peter is the Queen’s eldest grandchild news of the split is said to have “upset” her.
The Queen has been married to Prince Philip for more than seven decades and as head of the Church of England is particularly averse to divorce.
All of the Queen’s children par Prince Edward have been through divorces.
The Queen is understood to have given Prince Edward’s wife, Sophie, Countess of Wessex more time to adapt to royal life in the hope it would make for a long-lasting marriage.
The last royal couple to split were Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson whose divorce was finalised in 1996.
Peter Phillips. mother Princess Anne divorced from his father Captain Mark Phillips in 1992.
The royal split comes after a tumultuous few months for the Queen who has also had to cope with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s departure.
Peter Phillips and wife Autumn split: The decison to divorce was made following months of discussions (Image: GETTY)
The statement confirmed the couple’s decision to divorce was made after months of discussions.
The royal divorce may upset the Queen on a personal level but will not affect the monarchy.
Peter Phillips is not an official working member of the Firm and so his split, while sad, will have no impact on the royal running of things.
Royal expert and commentator Marlene Koenig tweeted about the reported royal split.
She wrote: “A reminder Peter Phillips may be the son of a Princess, but he’s not royal, his marriage has nothing to do with monarchy, he carries out no royal duties, no £ from the Sovereign Grant.
“He is private citizen whose granny happens to be queen.”
Source: EXPRESS CO UK