THE Royal Family’s travel budget has been revealed and royal figures have exposed the most expensive family member to the UK taxpayer in globetrotting costs.
Meghan Markle: No chance of family being at Christening says expert
The overall travel budget of the whole family amounted to £2.7million for the year as the annual review into their figures between April 1 2018 to March 31 2019 has been released. However, staggeringly, Prince Charles’ own personal travel budget has amounted to nearly half of that amount, registering at £1.3million. The cost of Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall’s, travel by air and rail rose by nearly a third from £1.01million to £1.33million this year.
The review, however, stated that Charles used the train the most which cost around £20,000 per trip.
Charles and Camilla’s royal tour of the Carribean and Cuba in February amounted to a staggering £417,000.
Moreover, their travel to West Africa totalled £216,000, although only trips worth more than £15,000 are required to be logged.
Speaking on the review, a Palace aide said: “His overseas travel was at the behest of the Foreign Office who realise he is a terrific ambassador for Britain.”
Royal news: Royal Family member’s travel costs revealed (Image: GETTY)
The Royal Family tree (Image: Express)
Royal news: Prince Charles top the list (Image: GETTY)
Prince Charles and Camilla arrive in Cuba for royal visit
The news of Charles’ travel budget comes as the figure for the refurbishment for Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Frogmore Cottage has been announced.
According to royal accounts, the work on their new Windsor home will cost the taxpayer £2.4million.
The couple have been given planning permission to paint the exterior of the Grade II listed house this summer at the expense of the taxpayer and to landscape the gardens out of their own pockets.
Furthermore, it is estimated that the cost to the taxpayer for the decorating work is expected to be less than £350,000.
Royal news: Meghan and Harry renovation will cost £2.4million (Image: GETTY)
Meghan Markle sent Prince Charles warning by expert
Meghan and Harry moved into their new home earlier this ear after splitting from his brother, Prince William and Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge.
Sir Michael Stevens, Keeper of the Privy Purse, the Queen’s chief financial adviser, explained why the money was spent using cash from the taxpayer-funded Sovereign Grant on the couple’s new official residence.
He said: “The property had not been the subject of work for some years and had already been earmarked for renovation in line with our responsibility to maintain the condition of the Occupied Royal Palaces estate.
“The Sovereign Grant covered the work undertaken to turn the building into the official residence and home of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their new family.
“The building was returned to a single residence and outdated infrastructure was replaced to guarantee the long-term future of the property.
“Substantially all fixtures and fittings were paid for by Their Royal Highnesses.”
Source: EXPRESS CO UK