MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry have spoken out about the “uncomfortable” past of the Commonwealth as the royal couple insisted it must be acknowledged.
Meghan Markle, 38, and Prince Harry, 35, spoke on a Zoom call about the benefits of acknowledging the past of the Commonwealth and using it to right the wrongs of the past in what is believed to be a first for the Royal Family. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who have moved to LA, urged the public to work together in fighting discrimination. Meghan explained that people need to feel uncomfortable in order to push through the discomfort.
Speaking on the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust, Harry said: “It’s only when you look across the Commonwealth, there is no way that we can move forward unless we acknowledge the past.
“I think so many people have done such an amazing and incredible job of acknowledging the past and trying to right those wrongs.
“But I think we can all acknowledge here that there is so much more still to do.
“It’s not going to be easy and in some cases, it’s not going to be comfortable but it needs to be done because everybody benefits.
Meghan Markle has spoke out on the past of the Commonwealth in a royal first (Image: The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust)
Meghan and Harry spoke on a Zoom call about the benefits of acknowledging the past (Image: The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust)
“I think there is a hell of a lot we together need to acknowledge.”
Meghan added: “We have to in this moment and time say, we’re going to have to be a little uncomfortable right now.
“It’s only in pushing through that discomfort we get to the other side of this and find the place you’re all talking about.
“Equality has not put anyone on the back foot, it puts us all on the same footing which is a fundamental human right and that’s what we’re talking about here.”
Meghan and Harry at their last royal engagement (Image: GETTY)
Meghan Markle and Harry ‘shouldn’t be funded’ says expert
Their comments come as leaked court documents reveal Meghan felt “unprotected by the Institution” of the monarchy when attacked by the media and “prohibited from defending herself”.
The papers form part of Meghan’s legal action against the publisher of the Mail on Sunday and MailOnline over articles which featured parts of a “private and confidential” letter from the duchess to her estranged father Thomas Markle.
In the documents, seen by the PA news agency, the duchess’s five friends who spoke to a US publication criticising her father, are not named but referred to as A-E, although they are identified in an undisclosed confidential schedule.
And the papers claim the duchess’s royal wedding generated a tourism revenue of more than a billion pounds for the public purse.
Line of succession (Image: EXPRESS)
The court papers said: “The Claimant had become the subject of a large number of false and damaging articles by the UK tabloid media, specifically by the Defendant, which caused tremendous emotional distress and damage to her mental health.
“As her friends had never seen her in this state before, they were rightly concerned for her welfare, specifically as she was pregnant, unprotected by the Institution, and prohibited from defending herself.”
The five close friends of Meghan – with friend A personally known to Mr Markle for more than 20 years – were interviewed but not named in a People magazine article – something Meghan was not involved with, the papers stated.
In the article, published in February last year, they spoke out against the bullying the royal said she has faced.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK