Meghan Markle court case: Duchess showdown to be streamed live to public, judge rules

737

MEGHAN MARKLE’S court case against the publishers of the Daily Mail will be open to the public next week, with people allowed to request access to the court’s live stream.

Meghan Markle has taken legal action against Associated Newspapers (ANL), the publisher of the Mail on Sunday, Daily Mail and Mail Online, after it published a series of articles containing excerpts of a letter she sent to her father, Thomas Markle. The Duchess is seeking damages for alleged misuse of private information, breaching the Data Protection Act and infringing copyright and her case is due to be heard at the High Court in London on Tuesday, January 19.

Meghan’s legal team have applied for a Summary Judgement, which will be discussed next week.

If this is approved, it would negate the need for a full trial as the judge would make his decision based on the papers filed.

The hearing will take place virtually, due to coronavirus restrictions.

The presiding judge, Mr Justice Warby, has ruled the public will be able to log on to the virtual hearing at the Chancery Division of the Royal Courts of Justice.

meghan markle court case latest news

Meghan Markle’s court case against the publishers of the Daily Mail will be open to the public (Image: Getty)

meghan markle court case latest news

Meghan Markle ’s legal team have applied for a Summary Judgement, which will be discussed next week (Image: Getty)

This is because without coronavirus restrictions courts are open to members of the public who are permitted to sit and watch the proceedings from the public gallery – which is termed open justice.

In order to ensure this continues, the court has said members of the public can apply to watch the virtual proceedings.

Mr Justice Warby said: “I have no doubt that the summary judgment application will be of considerable interest. It is more than merely procedural.

“Moreover, the issues on that application are of legal interest as well of general interest to members of the public.”

meghan markle prince harry latest news

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry now live in the USA (Image: Time100)

But those interested in tuning in must have applied before the deadline of 4pm on Friday, January 15 – which has now passed.

Applicants had to provide their names, mobile numbers, and email addresses, and agree to adhere to strict English Contempt of Court laws which forbid any recording or sharing of images of the proceedings.

Media law expert Professor Paul Wragg said allowing the public, rather than just journalists to tune in, is a good move.

He said: “So far, these proceedings have been played out largely in the media.

meghan markle prince harry latest news

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry quit the Royal Family last year (Image: Getty)

“Associated Newspapers Ltd, but not only them, have hailed every minor procedural determination in their favour as an epic victory.

“Consequently, public perception is vastly skewed. Indeed, the public could be forgiven for thinking ANL had already won.”

If the judge rules in favour of a Summary Judgement, it would spare Meghan and her father from facing each other in court and giving testimony.

However if the hearing goes against the Duchess, the case will take place as scheduled later this year.

meghan markle prince harry latest news

Timeline leading to Meghan and Harry’s decision to quit the Royal Family (Image: Express)

The hearing starts at 10.30am on Tuesday, but those given assess to the virtual court are required to log in by 9.30am.

The court warned access is not guaranteed and may be limited.

Source: EXPRESS CO UK

Diana Legacy Header Logo Image
inbox gif

Get Update News In Your Inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Latest Update News Images Videos of British Royal Family

↑ Grab this Headline Animator