MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry could have to foot a £3.8million bill for private security if they lose their royal protection officers, according to a Hollywood bodyguard.
Force Protection Agency founder Russell Stuart claimed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would face the hefty bill for private security. It comes after Meghan and Harry revealed plans last week to quit as senior royals in a bombshell statement.
The security expert told the Daily Mail: “They will each need between two to four guards with them at all times.
“Every residence they class as a home will also need to be permanently looked after.
“You are looking at a security bill totalling millions, somewhere between $3 to $5m (£2.3 to £3.8m).
“Even if they become private citizens the idea that they could pop to the grocery store – that is probably never going to happen.”
Meghan and Harry could have to foot a £3.8million bill for private security (Image: GETTY)
Meghan pictured with a royal bodyguard during an overseas tour in 2018 (Image: GETTY)
The Queen gave her backing to Meghan and Harry’s new life following a crisis summit at Sandringham yesterday.
The Sussexes, who have said they want to be financially independent, will now begin a transition period living in the UK and Canada.
The Queen said: “Today my family had very constructive discussions on the future of my grandson and his family.
Prince Harry seen with a royal protection officer (Image: GETTY)
“My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family.
“Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.
“Harry and Meghan have made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives.
Meghan and Harry revealed plans last week to quit as senior royals in a bombshell statement (Image: GETTY)
The Queen gave her backing to Meghan and Harry’s new life following a crisis summit at Sandringham (Image: GETTY)
“It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.
“These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days.”
The move has raised a number of questions, including about funding, titles and security.
When did Meghan Markle and Prince Harry get married? (Image: EXPRESS)
Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the country is supportive of Meghan and Harry living there but the cost needs to be discussed.
It follows reports that he had agreed for Canadian taxpayers to pay the Sussexes’ security bill during their time there.
Speaking to Global News on Monday, Mr Trudeau said: “I think most Canadians are very supportive of having royals be here, but how that looks and what kind of costs are involved, there are still lots of discussions to have.”
He added there were still “a lot of decisions” to be had by the royal family and Harry and Meghan regarding the “level of engagement they choose to have”.
Mr Trudeau said: “We are obviously supportive of their reflections but have responsibilities in that as well.
“We’re not entirely sure what the final decisions will be.”
Source: EXPRESS CO UK