MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry have revealed a new name for their charity after papers detailing the shutting down of their Sussex Royal charity showed a request for a new name.
- Kate Middleton’s standing ovation at BBC event before Prince Harry’s Vax Live reception
- ‘I’m not coming out!’ Queen ‘locked herself’ in cabin after furious Philip began 'ranting'
- Kate 2.0! 'New era' begins for Duchess as expert says she's 'coming into her own'
- Queen makes announcement to the nation - royal tradition shattered
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry agreed to stop using their Sussex Royal brand, which was used on their official website and social media accounts, after they officially stepped down as senior royals from March 31 this year. Their shock departure from the Royal Family came with a number of strict terms, which included banning the couple using the word ‘royal’ in any future branding.
As a result, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have not used their official social media pages or updated their website since stepping down and moving abroad, first to Canada and now to LA.
There had been some speculation over what Meghan and Harry would call their new charity venture, with many assuming the charity would take the name of their new US foundation, Archewell, which the couple announced in April.
But new documents reveal Meghan and Harry are rebranding Sussex Royal to the MFX foundation in the UK.
An expert, who has reviewed the paperwork, noted it is highly unusual for a company to change its name while it is being wound up.
However, he suggested the name change could be a temporary move to ensure royal is immediately taken out of the charity’s name.
- Royal Family braces for chaos as insider fears 'drama' to be exposed on The Crown
- Queen abdication? Prince Charles takeover ‘in mind’ as Philip death ‘accelerates’ protocol
- Queen and Prince Charles leave royal fans emotional with simple 'touching' gesture
- Camilla snubbed as Duchess of Cornwall wanted 'nowhere near throne'
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry may have let slip the new name of SussexRoyal (Image: Getty)
- Queen's Speech: The 30 new laws announced and what they mean for YOU
- Prince Philip 'persuasive' intervention in Charles marriage row 'led to conflict' with son
- Kate puts foot down in Megxit 'fightback' as Duchess 'won't let Meghan walk over royals'
- Queen 'takes care of everybody' - goddaughter lifts lid on monarch's private life
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry appear to want to change the name to MWX Foundation (Image: Getty)
The paperwork outlines Meghan and Harry’s plans to wind up ‘Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’.
It shows that the couple plan to change the identity of the charity to MWX Foundation and states: “The charity’s name be changed to the MWX Foundation.”
The paperwork also shows the Sussex Royal Foundation had just under £100,000 in the bank and it will cost £16,000 to dissolve it.
Commenting on the documents, financial expert Robert Leach told the Mail Online: “I have never heard of a company changing its name while it is being wound up.
The document states they plan to change the name to MFX Foundation (Image: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex/Companies House/The UK Government )
“It does take a little bit of time to wind up a company though, so perhaps it’s a break from the ‘Royal’ name for that period.
“The Companies Act 2005 section the papers quote is simply the procedure for changing a company’s name.
“A name may be changed for any reason.
“The most commons reasons are because the existing name has become toxic, because it no longer represents what the company does, or because the name is not permitted.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announced they were stepping down as Senior Royals in January (Image: Getty)
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry recently moved to LA with their son, Archie (Image: Getty)
“In this case, it is probably the latter.
“Many terms require permission from someone to be used in a company name.
“The word ‘royal’ is strictly guarded.”
The couple have been linked to the MWX brand before, with a company MWX Trading Ltd established last August, with the couple’s lawyer, Gerrard Tyrrell announced as the secretary.
Timeline leading up to Meghan and Harry’s decision to quit the Royal Family (Image: Express)
It is not yet clear what MWX stands for, though some have speculated MW could stand for Markle Windsor.
Meghan and Harry have already announced they will launch a new charity Archewell in the US, which will replace their Sussex Royal brand.
The new brand has yet to officially launch, as the couple are currently focusing their efforts on the coronavirus pandemic.
Source: EXPRESS CO UK