The Queen has appointed Sir Christopher Geidt as her Permanent Lord in Waiting
THE Queen has brought back one of her must trusted aides to “keep an eye” on Meghan Markle and Prince Harry.
According to the Daily Mail, the Queen has appointed Sir Christopher Geidt as her Permanent Lord in Waiting.
A source told the publication: “Her Majesty values Lord Geidt’s wise counsel. This new role gives him a formal status again.”
Sir Christopher resigned as her private secretary in 2017 after there was an alleged power struggle with Prince Charles in his preparations to become King.
However, the loyal lieutenant is said to have been re-hired at the Queen’s personal discretion.
Part of his role will be working closely with Meghan at the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust, following the Queen making the duchess a vice-president of the organisation earlier this month.
The courtier said: “This was all part of the plan to introduce the Duchess to royal life. Lord Geidt will be Her Majesty’s eyes and ears.”
He will also be on hand to help with ceremonial events and to welcome heads of state, like President Trump, when they visit Buckingham Palace.
Sir Christopher has already crossed paths with pregnant Meghan, when she visited King’s College London on International Women’s Day on March 8.
The Duke of Duchess of Sussex made a bid for freedom after splitting from the Kensington Palace Royal household but the Queen blocked the move, according to reports.
Meghan, 37, and Harry, 34, are thought to have grand plans to build a global ‘Sussex brand’ of philanthropy and humanitarian work, in their own modern style.
While Meghan, who was already a passionate speaker about gender equality during her former job as an actress, wants to continue her work as an “activist”, according to reports.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will part ways from Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Royal office when they move to Frogmore Cottage, in Windsor, ahead of their baby’s birth.
But their bid to create a separate household was met with a resounding “no” from the Queen and Prince Charles, who fund their Royal duties.
A Royal source told The Times: “They wanted their household to be entirely independent of Buckingham Palace, but were told ‘no’.
“There is an institutional structure that doesn’t allow that kind of independence.”
Instead, the couple’s staff will become part of the Buckingham Palace office – which oversees the Queen and other Royals.
Source: thesun co uk